The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

What would happen if two individuals with a gene drive mated?

Phase: Ideas/Research

We’re assuming the gene drive is for different versions of the same trait and the drive mechanism is the same. (I’m not yet asking if we could make a gene drive to trump a gene drive)

The idea popped into to my head a few years and I couldn’t find anything on it then. After a brief search I couldn’t find anything today.

First: Has anyone seen any info on this or am I missing something essential about it?

This would have a potential practical application if you had an issue with an existing population with a gene drive among other things.

Second: If there’s no research or theoretical answer then we’d have to find out experimentally.

We’d need a sexually reproducing species preferably with three versions of the same traits. Fruit flies, I know a little so I’ll have it for this discussion; though other species might be easier / less expensive. A co-dominant trait might be best to see if A, B or AB is being expressed.

Run a few generation to make sure each group A & B is in fact purebred each expressing their respective trait.

Insert gene drive in each population A & B. Easier said than done but doable.

Run a few generations of A & B with new populations C to see if the gene drive trait is the only genotype.

Now, mate A & B.

Results?

Possible outcomes:

A. A, B, AB expression in ratios of ?
B. Non viable off spring
C. Paradox forms black hole, consumes universe