Installing a magnetic implant while still growing?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Since this is my first post I suppose i'll introduce my self, my name is Brian and i'm a 17 year old college sophomore. Since i was very young i have had something of a fascination with scifi, and always dreamed of the future. Recently I discovered nootropics by chance, and have been taking various combinations of them for a few months now. This interest led me to learning about grinding, and ever since i've been very eager to get started with the next level of human enhancement. However, none of my reading has shown anything regarding the effects of getting an implant while still growing. I envision two possible results; my finger rejecting the magnet over time, or the nerve endings somehow becoming entwined around it as i age. I'm hoping for the latter, given that it would probably increase sensitivity over time, but i was wondering what your guys think.

Also, is anyone interested in getting a group buy started?

EDIT: typo.
Tagged:

Comments

• I don't see any reason why the implant would work differently in you. Skin cells are always growing and dying in everyone.

Rejection is a risk everyone takes. And your nerves slowly regrow around the magnet as the wound heals.

I could be wrong, but there's no obvious reason for you to have special difficulties.
  • I don't believe you would have any trouble with your implant. I might be interested in a group buy, I'm still waiting on an email from VP.
  • Group buy in the NZ thread is from VP, and still has >100 magnets left.

Make that, and other recent group buys, your first port of call, otherwise we're all going to be left with hundreds of spare magnets and nothing to do with them.

Just a thought, as everyone seems to want to do their own group buy...
  • Thanks Bish ;) 
    sokushinbutsu, Where are you in the world and how many magnets are you after? I have extra 
    VP 782N-3 magnets available. Send me a PM.
  • Getting an implant in very young age could affect organism - we still don't really know full well influences of magnetic fields on cellular level and in long time exposures, and during the years when one is growing and developing the cells are especially sensitive. I'd be more concerned about bone tissue actually than soft tissues...
    I doubt anyone checked if having a strong magnet as implant won't affect bone growth... Or maybe vessels proliferation, or other processes... Electromagnetic fields are being used in rehabilitation to try to speed up tissue regeneration - but those are short procedures - like 10-20 minutes maybe twice a week, applied just a few times... It shows that magnetic field may have influence on our tissues - but I don't know of any research showing how long time influence affects the body...
    If anyone knows of such research, please share...

I personally wouldn't recommend getting an implant to anyone who's still growing, even if at 17 you're pretty much done with bone growth and it probably wouldn't hurt your tissues. Especially that unless you're a liberated minor it's probably not legal for you to make such decisions on your own and self mutilating can lead you to have trouble ;P

On the other hand I wouldn't recommend getting an implant to anyone because I don't want to be sued, because it's all field of 'medical experiment', not any kind of well proven and tested methods ;P
  • "
    Electromagnetic fields are being used in rehabilitation to try to speed up tissue regeneration" -> so you are saying that due to that magnet I have enhanced regeneration and am therefor invincible?? wohoo, happy days :)

a quick search shows:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8316709 no sign of alteration in a very limited test field, at least in the relevant magnetic strength
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15238230 significant (that sounds stronger than the actual meaning is) changes in cell growth and gene expression; particularly interesting since they used neodymium discs for the experiment

all in all the search indicates in fact changes in the cells. Guess there really is more research needed, but for I now I just hope that the field is too locally isolated and too weak for too much of an effect
  • Like I said - there is 'some' influence - what kind of influence it is - we don't know yet ;D
    Too little research. As for the rehabilitation techniques - it's actually quite a gray area connecting 'alternative medicine' with 'mainstream medicine' because while some methods are well established and tested, some aren't and we're doing it more because we 'think' it helps ;P That's the case with electromagnets - no really big researches have been completed (though some are being conducted afaik).

Anyway - a kid getting an implant could get 'changes in cell growth and gene expression', even if the magnetic field is isolated to closest proximity - in fingers that could mean that the kid would grow to be a handsome man/pretty woman with one finger too short and looking weird for example (not even speaking if someone would implant more magnets, say in all fingers, or even a few in each finger to get better 'em-field vision definition' ;P ;P )
    And if the 'changes in cell growth and gene expression' will give someone some kind of cancer - we do it knowing the risks and being legally responsible for our own actions.
    Someone underage isn't...

And in addition - we don't want the press of convincing kids to cut themselves to insert some untested devices into their bodies I'd guess ;P