CRISPR FOR DEPRESSION

Hey guys, I'm new to this community but I am very interested in learning how to utilize CRISPR and potentially (with much precaution) genetically modify myself. I know this is very new bio-tech but I am very desperate for treatment and my current psychiatric regimen is not doing much. In other words, I am not too fearful of adverse effects because the "adverse effects" resulting from my depression are quite crippling.

I just want to know, are there any biohacker pioneers already looking into this? If so can you please direct me to them. Are there any such treatments currently available (patented or experimental)? If not, can someone direct me to beginner resources, or what they would think most necessary for learning how to utilize CRISPR.

Note: I do not plan to do anything irrational and it will not be until I have a thorough understanding of CRISPR and grasp of proper procedure before I attempt anything. In other words, I am at the least months away from trying anything.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Hey @Bunk8, welcome to the community.

If you don't mind sharing, what articles did you read that led you to the conclusion that CRISPR could be used to treat depression?
  • @Satur9 said:
    Hey @Bunk8, welcome to the community.

If you don't mind sharing, what articles did you read that led you to the conclusion that CRISPR could be used to treat depression?

I mean, I firmly believe that my depression is genetically based rather than situational as it is for some other people. CRISPR seems to inherently address genetic precursors to depression, at least hypothetically.

But i guess this is mainly hypothetical. Thanks

• I have never used a CRISPR kit, but my understanding is that it's utility for modifying adult humans is severely limited by the fact that you'll only be making edits to small groupings of somatic cells. There are changes that you can affect, but they are minor. Not on the scale of permanently modifying brain chemistry. The largest change potential you can create with CRISPR edits is when you are using germline cells.

Someone more knowledgeable in the subject might be able to tell you more.
  • @Satur9 That makes a lot of sense. Although it is still a possibility to inject directly into the brain? I'm hoping as well that someone with expertise can set me straight on whats possible and not...