Viral Editing?

Hi guys,

I am a 4th year biotech UG with an interest in viruses. The herpes simplex ll virus cure was found by genetically removing a protein used to cloak the bodies immune response to prevent production of anti-bodies, the Gd2 protein. 

I want to test this in mice, but I am not sure where to even begin?

Is there is a site I can order the modified virus in vaccine format for research? Subsequently, what if I wanted to test this on other viruses to removing cloaking mechanisms, how would I cut out a piece of virus RNA/DNA?

Comments

• edited January 11

I would start with CRISPR. It's the most widespread/accessible method for cutting out specific genes from a segment of DNA that I am aware of. I'm no CRISPR expert, but it's probably worth looking into.

• @ManiacBrainiac

I have been working on this project for the last ...3(?) years. What you want to do is create a BAC, bacterial artificial chromosome. And you can already order the virus with the knock out. Just remember that you need a -80C freezer for viral storage, and liquid nitrogen for mammalian cell work.

Fundamentals are crucial. Mammalian cell works starts in a flask. Not in mice. Mouse testing is ... well let's just say it';s more legal to stab yourself with something then it is to have an unlicensed mouse lab.

DONT INJECT YOURSELF

On that note, you would also need a way for the delta glyD viral particles to get into the cell. That means you need a secondary system set up to give the virus a one time pass that allows it to enter. This also requires a bsl2 lab and mammalian cells.

If you want to learn more , ask away.