The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Open source STM32-based 13MHz+125kHz 192kB NFC+RFID implant

I accidentally found myself developing it. Ordered a couple of STM32L082KZU6 (5x5x0.5mm general purpose low power microcontroller chip), some 0.1mm copper wire for the antenna and 0.5mm wire for electrodes for shocking myself as a mean of feedback (and maybe reading some biopotentials; no idea if i can really detect something like nearby muscular contractions with such a simple circuit).
The STM32 has 192kB flash estate, hardware AES, ADC and temperature sensor, so i hope it to be an universal RFID "keychain" and maybe even an instant body temperature measurement device. First of all, i'll make a radio bootloader so i can reflash the device when it's in.

I'm not yet sure on the final coating of the device, now i'm considering grabbing a random tin-catalyzed silicone compound from a soap makers' shop. I will publish all the source code so the community would be able to avoid potentially insecure proprietary RFID chips and extend it (for instance, a photodiode or accelerometer could be added as a secondary data input and a supercapacitor could be added for data gathering between recharges (the chip itself can idle at 0.3µA)).

I'm aiming for a 30x10x1mm total size with a semi-flexible coil. A little drawing:

I wonder if there's more functionality i could add to the device w/o increasing its size.