The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

xG3 Injectable Biomagnet

DT appears to have just dropped the first injectable biomagnet;

https://store.dangerousthings.com/product/xG3/

Thoughts?

Comments

Displaying all 10 comments
  1. I saw this.

It seems very large, 15x3mm is not friendly for finger-implant use. I am struggling to debate where I would even want an implant this large, knowing it needs sensitivity..

Does anybody have any good ideas of how to use this as a field-sensing magnet? visually, it's CHOCKED FULL of inert dead space..

When you take an m31 magnet, 1mm x 3mm disc , and you put a .5mm coating around it, you reduce it's magnetic density, versus non-magnetic material, down to like, 30%. Unacceptable.

I am terrified to do the math, if this thing has even more surface area.. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is explicitly going to be bad for field sensing, no?

Also, personal experience with V2 firefly would leave me to assume that a rod shaped implant in a high-traffic area with any appreciable nerve density, unless you wanted to NGF a new spot, might actually even be painful with day-to-day interactions..

These are just my own instant observations and thoughts, correct me if it's relevant to, please.

2. I personally cannot see how it can be used, i don't know, maybe not for the same reason as a non incapsulated magnet.Gotta put my mind to work harder!

3. I think that a great spot would be the blade of the hand.. the medial surface. People seem to get pretty good results there.

4. I mean, It seems like the use case is a lifting magnet, not a sensing one. I used a field strength calculator at 3mm distance and came up with 0.01lbs of pull force. You could lift a few paper clips or a screw with that. I agree with Cassox that the blade of the hand seems like a good fit.

I know many of us love our magnets primarily because of the sensing aspect. Some people (like my significant other) just care about the lifting capabilities and would rather have a reliable magnet that is slightly weaker as a result, instead of mucking about with coatings and failures and repeated procedures.

5. My guess is it was made this way so that RFID users would see a familiar method of implanting and try it out, injection may allow for less flexibility in terms of implant areas but it does streamline the procedure and is a lot less endearing for newcomers than a scalpel.

6. I might try one of these out in time, waiting to hear feedback from the early adopters.

7. What might we use instead for sensing?

8. Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

9. @MiaRoseElbo said:
    Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

@MiaRoseElbo said:
    Been waiting long for a magnet so I'm really doing my best not to make a rushed decision on buying this since it doesn't look like what I'm actually looking for (Finger sensing magnet). Super afraid I'll miss on a great opportunity tho.

If this is a great opportunity, it will come again as it's in the profit holders best interest

10. Someone used the xG3 as a tragus implant. It didn't reject and they are able to pick up sounds with it:

https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/xg3-biomagnet-suggested-locations/3906/58

Displaying all 10 comments