VP 782N-3 Magnets Group Buy

13»

Comments

• Hey I'd be interested in partaking in a group buy if its possible to get them sent to the UK.

-Cass
  • Hi, new to the scene. I'm looking to buy 10 magnets or so. Anyone got any left? Or anyone intrested in a group-buy soon?

I'm located in Sweden.
  • http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=2582 

If you're looking for a standard parylene coated magnet, check the link above. Group buys aren't necessary for those anymore as you can buy them individually. 
  • Did anyone use magnets from the link that geckogut recommended?  I put an order in; they're very reasonable, particularly when I look on Steve Haworth's site and see one magnet for $100.  That's just nuts!!  
    I'm currently getting my equipment together.  Ordering what I think I'll need to do the implant.  I don't want any surprises while my finger is open; so I'm going a little overboard ensuring I get everything I could need.  Don't want one of those moments where my finger is open I have everything but the magnet won't stay in place because I'm using steal tweezers to try to deposit it.
    I ordered 20 magnets from the link above and the total w/ shipping within U.S. came to just under $30.  These are paralyne coated; 3mm in diameter and 1mm thick.  
    I'm curious to know if anyone has used these, they certainly seem up to specs, other then some speculation about using larger, stronger magnets; this still seems to be the size of choice for most people for the disks.  That's the other debate, disks or rods.  The rods are certainly more convenient for the implantation process as you can just use an RFID needle.  This link looks like a good needle for implanting a 6mm rod magnet: https://dangerousthings.com/shop/sterile-2x12mm-rfid-injection-kit/
    Anyway, as I'm still prepping does anyone have any last minute feedback about the type of magnet I went with, specifically any feedback from someone who used the site above, as I did, would be very welcome.  As would anything along those lines.  
    I've read up.  I think I'm ready; I don't anticipate any problems with the procedure.  I just want to be as sure as possible before going ahead.  I'd hate to do it and have someone tell me a week later that I would have been better off using x, y or z.  
    As always any and all feedback is appreciated!
  • I've had one of rhe SuperMagnetMan magnets in my non-dominant index finger for about two months with no complications.  I can't detect microwave ovens, but I'm generally pleased with the sensitivity.  The implant is placed off of the center axis of the finger, allowing me to grip with that finger even with the magnet in place.  Prior to implanting, I soaked the magnet in 91% alcohol solution to sterilize it.  Do not use heat to sterilize these magnets as it will ruin them.

In all fairness to Stave Haworth, I believe $100 is the fee for both the magnet and the implant procedure, which seems reasonable to me.  I did the implant myself using the ice bag method of anesthesia.  If you need more pain management than that, get the pain management kit from dangerousthings.com and follow the instructions carefully.  You don't want to accidentally inject lidocaine into a blood vessel where it can be carried to your heart and cause serious complications. I used superglue to close the wound.  If possible, have someone on hand who can suture the wound for you using sterile sutures which can be bought online.  This is a much more secure closure than superglue.  If you do use superglue, check it twice a day to make sure that the wound is still closed and apply more superglue if necessary.  Whichever method is used, keep it in/on for a full ten days.

It's also a good idea to get a box of large sterile gauze pads at your local pharmacy to cover the table you are working on.

Once you're prepared, you might want to do a dry run to make sure you have everything.  Let us know how it turns out.

• I'm a real advocate for finding someone to do it professionally.  I had 2 done for $60 (total, not each) + the magnets.  Extremely professional, everything was sterile (you can autoclave the equipment but don't heat up the magnet), and from walking in the door to done was 20ish minutes.  I didn't need stitches or glue, though I did put skin glue on it later because I was paranoid.

If you are going to do it yourself, realize that you have more nerve endings in your fingertips than other areas.  Prepare yourself for more pain than you've ever felt.  Have someone else there who can at least glue you up if you can't finish.  And STERILIZE everything.  Keep in mind that you want to be as close as possible to the skin, but not to far out otherwise they will come out.

I also have mine located on the side of the fingers, away from the pad. I have never had issues gripping/typing and I can feel lots.  I have the magnets from this post. 
  • I think I have all of the equipment on its way to me.  I bought a field surgeon's medical kit for the initial incision and manipulation.  I also bought a set of anti-static, non-magnetic tools for the actual implanting, this way it won't stick to the tweezers, however I was thinking of trying to insert it on the tip of a steal surgical tool and then use a stronger magnet outside my finger, close to the target location to pull it off of the tip.  Picked up some very high quality surgical cement.  I work in medicine, I'm a sleep technologist, so I have access to gloves, alcohol, sterile gauze, etc.  I'll be using Isopropyl alcohol to sterilize and as a final safety precaution, I'm going to take prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotics, starting a day before implanting and for a week following.  
    I think I'll be ready to go once everything arrives.  
  • I implanted my magnet this morning.  The procedure went very well overall.  Some small hiccups in the middle; trouble keeping the magnet in place, but overall I'd say it was very easy.  I didn't find it very painful. 
    Took me about a half an hour almost exactly, start to finish.  I used a product called dermabond and it worked amazingly!!  As good as stitches.  As soon as I was done, the incision looked like no more than a paper cut, covered in a clear coating.  I highly recommend it.  It's a single use item and a bit expensive, but given the results, it was worth every penny.  
    If anyone uses it in the future, I would offer some advice.  It says to put on three coats, waiting 30 seconds between them.  Don't wait longer than 30 seconds or you won't get all three coats on before it hardens in the tube.  This happened to me; I got two applications, and then the middle was hardened.  The applicator has a glass container in it, which you crush, activating and releasing the gel, but from then on, it starts to harden.  
    I really can't stress just how great the effects were.  Here's the link to the product on Amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M0U4S4/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I was just amazed that this worked instead of stitches.  I thought for sure I'd need to put in a stitch, because there was a ton of blood; but I just squeezed it together and the first pass with the pen and it was closed.  Great product!!!
  • Be sure you keep an eye on the wound @tim.  I used superglue on mine and needed to reapply it several times to keep the would closed.  Part of the problem might have been due to using superglue instead of dermabond.  The glue became very rigid and brittle after it dried.  After a few days, I switched from superglue to liquid bandage.

Congrats on your implant.  Keep the dermabond on for a minimum of 10 days.
  • Congrats man! good luck with the healing!
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks!  Appreciate the support!  My friends have been less than understanding.  The term crazy has been tossed around quite a bit; granted this isn't the first eccentric thing I've ever done.  The one's that don't think I'm crazy or at least aren't saying it to my face, just want to see the video. Those are more co-workers than my long time friends.  
    Everything looks very good.  The dermabond is still on it, I've touched up the dermabond a couple of times w/ liquid bandage.  Under the clear coat of dermabond/liquid bandage, the cut looks as if it's coming along quite well. No signs of infection or rejection, although I was pretty confident there wouldn't be any infection.  I work in medicine, although it's sleep medicine, not surgical. I do have a strong background in anatomy and physiology, as well as microbiology.  
    I also used a cycle of broad spectrum antibiotics prophylactically to act a little proactively on the infection front.  Picked them up online, more b/c I don't like going to primary care docs if I get sick, but had them around and this seemed a good time to use them.  
    Right now I just keep the area covered with a bandaid, mostly to just protect the dermabond.  I work in hospitals and wash my hands dozens of times a night often with alcohol based gels, which could break down the dermabond.  I think if it flakes away by Friday, I'll let it and stop touching it up with liquid bandage. Give the actual cut a chance to heal.  I think by then everything just under the cut should have healed pretty decently.  I want to give the actual incision site a chance, it looks as if it's scabbed, but still under the dermabond.  Won't have a chance to complete healing until that's off.  
  • Has anyone got any 3x1mm coated magnets left they could ship to me in Northern Ireland? I only want max 5 as this will be my first bio hack! Thanks in advance
  • I think your best bet is to go to the site recommended above by geckogut.  They sell for about $1 U.S. per magnet.  Not sure how much shipping would be, but it's by far the cheapest I've seen magnets on the net.  You could probably get 5 for under $20 w shipping.  
    You're actually probably going to be mostly paying for shipping and since the shipping cost wouldn't go up if you bought more, you might want to get 10.  It won't cost much more.  This will let you pick and choose which you want to use.  I'm sure they're all fine, but just to be as safe as possible, I went through mine and eliminated any with even a small surface scratch or imperfection.  
  • Hello, I'm wondering if anybody has any of the 782N-3 magnets still available? It looks like recently everybody has been getting cylinders but I want to wait that out until I can find either A) gold-wrapped parylene coated neodymium cylinder or B) PTFE coated neo cylinder that isn't huge(I know there's a heat issue with PTFE and Neo)

Anyways, looking for 10 or so neo disks if there are still some around. Thanks!
  • I think it's about time to discuss coating materials again as getting precoated magnets seems to be a bit of a pain. PTFE and parylene aren't the only choices.

Some interesting materials for coating may be FEP (similar to PTFE but it has a lower melting point and thus, can be melt processed). It's available in a number of forms, including foils ranging from 12.5μm up to 500μm. I haven't searched for in-depth studies on its bioinertness, but it was listed as such.
    Another neglected coating material is HDPE, also a thermoplast like FEP. It comes with excellent bioinertness, only surpassed by PTFE.
    Both can be used with all known thermoplastic processes such as injection molding, vacuum forming, ultrasonic welding etc. in simplest case you can partially dip your magnet into the molten plastic, let it cool, repeat with the other end.

Mokstar tried to contact Dow about implant grade HDPE. Depending on the minimum orders there might be an attempt to group-buy larger quantities of that material. It's not limited for use on magnets, but also a great choice for bigger implants. It can be autoclaved aswell. And yes, HDPE can be 3d-printed, altho i would not exactly recommend to use 3d printed structures as protective coating or shell. It might still be useful for stuff like electrode frames or so. In any case, a good material to have around.
  • Is there a discussion on bioproofing somewhere on here? I didn't see one looking around. I'd be willing to help however I could in coming up with a reliable way to biocoat objects, especially electronics as that's my area of interest.
  • Thermoplastic injection molding is actually my profession. My company works solely in medical plastics. I can spirit away smallish amounts of HDPE easily as well as advise coating methods.
  • @Saal That's excellent news. If you have info on the material/quality aswell as practical tips on processing it please post them in the newly created material thread: http://discuss.biohack.me/discussion/474/materials-for-implantation
  • shot in the dark here, are there any magnets left from this group buy? if not is there anyone around here with one or two magnets to spare? thanks