The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Subcutaneous Single Injection Digital Nerve Block

Most guides for performing a digital nerve block, including some created or referenced by biohackers, use a "traditional" approach. This involves injections through most of the thickness of the finger, on either side, in close proximity to nerves and blood vessels. However, a modern, less invasive type of nerve block can be performed with only a single injection just below the skin. Here's a short blog post outlining it. Studies here, here, and here provide some more in-depth info.

Possible advantages:
* Less pain
* Lower risk of nerve damage or accidental intravenous injection
* Easier to perform?

Possible disadvantages:
* Less reliable at numbing dorsal digital nerves, though this shouldn't be an issue with fingertip magnet placement.
* Unknown possible complications of accidentally penetrating tendon sheath or tendon

Has anyone tried this technique? Any thoughts about it?

Comments

Displaying all 3 comments
  1. Yeah. I use this all the time. Onset is slower but the duration and effectiveness are great.

2. Just wanted to say that I tried this myself today (2ml of 2% lidocaine subdermally at the crease of the finger) and it worked flawlessly. I haven't tried other injection methods, but I can't imagine why anybody would choose them over this one for a fingertip procedure.

3. Haven't tried this yet, I'll have to give it a try.

Displaying all 3 comments