The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Any european magnet sellers?

So I've been reading lots of posts looking for info about magnet implantation (procedure, magnet types, safety concerns...). I found it all except an european seller. Does anyone know any EU sellers?
P.D.: I'm currently in Spain.

Comments

Displaying all 13 comments
  1. This might be a good place to start: https://store.stevehaworth.com/pages/distributors

2. If you were fine waiting a few months till I get back to college, I could also forward a package from the US to you.

3. Thanks man, I'll try to get one from them. However, let me know when you get back cuz i'll probably still be interested.

4. Alright. You might have to remind me in September. I’ll probably forget

5. I could send you a few of my leftover cobalt-gold plated magnets. But I'd suggest to wait just a while longer so I can see whether it rejects or not (had mine for more than 4 days, so far no infection, rejection or inflammation)

6. > @delta12 said:
    > I could send you a few of my leftover cobalt-gold plated magnets. But I'd suggest to wait just a while longer so I can see whether it rejects or not (had mine for more than 4 days, so far no infection, rejection or inflammation)

Sounds great, if next week they'r still inside tell me and we arrange it.

7. @delta12 said:
    I could send you a few of my leftover cobalt-gold plated magnets. But I'd suggest to wait just a while longer so I can see whether it rejects or not (had mine for more than 4 days, so far no infection, rejection or inflammation)

I wouldn't mind having a piece of this action, and I would be happy to do some extensive testing on it.

8. @delta12 said:
    I could send you a few of my leftover cobalt-gold plated magnets. But I'd suggest to wait just a while longer so I can see whether it rejects or not (had mine for more than 4 days, so far no infection, rejection or inflammation)

So? Are they still in?

9. No, unfortunately I implanted my magnet incorrectly. When I removed the magnet, the coating was damaged in the corner, it probably didn't adhere correctly there. I'm not giving up though, I'm trying to create a new magnet, I ground up the surface in hopes of improving coating adhesion, I'll see how it goes.

10. Delta, can you do a write-up with your experience? Like your coating procedure etc?

11. > @Cassox said:
    > Delta, can you do a write-up with your experience? Like your coating procedure etc?

Well the first attempt failed, I didn't put the thing deep enough and it got rejected. In a sense, it's a good thing because I latet found out, that a very tiny piece od the coating had scraped off on the edge, revealing the black NdFeB core.

Yesterday, I implanted a second magnet on the other side of the finger (eventually figured that it's a bettet spot), and done a few things differently.

So I first scraped off the surface from the magnet using a file and some sandpaper just a little bit, to get any dirt off and to also provide a better surface adhesion for the plating. I cleaned the magnet with a concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide (to get off any remnants of grease) and also a quick wash in hydrochloric acid. I plated the magnet from all sides, in total for about 8 minutes at a very low voltage (2.3v).

I then submerged it into 4% hydrovhloric acid for a few hours, and then applied a second layer of coating (same voltage for about 2 minutes) After that, Ieft the magnet in the acid for a day as a form of testing.

A control sample in form of an uncoated magnet got completely black and brittle after a day in the acid, while the gold plated one completely held off withouy any damage. So I went on with the procedure.

I used the same cobalt gold solution as last time. ( K[AuCn2] + CoSO4 )

Also I managed to get a proper local anesthetic (thank god), a 10% lidocaine in ethanol topical spray. No need for injections, it worked flawlessly. The procedure was so incredibly easier without pain!

12. @Nwilde1590 said:
    This might be a good place to start: https://store.stevehaworth.com/pages/distributors

Are there other known sellers/suppliers for EU (Germany) at the moment?
    I'm looking for N52 (or higher) with TiN and Parylene multilayer coating.

13. No idea @faensii I just remembered that Haworth had some suppliers in Europe.

Displaying all 13 comments