The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Development of modular hacks (Grinder implants)

I think it would be easier for grinders to develop their projects if there were standardised methods and ideally kit, with open source licensing, that provided building blocks which can be used to comprise projects. eg implantable wire for electronic transmission - synthetic nervous system implantable sensors - encapsulated phidget style sensors and actuators This catalogue of components would give a reference point for grinders to compare and contrast methods too, so others can use the optimal implants as quickly as possible. The development of implants is a hard enough venture as it is! Any thoughts? Is there any thing like this out there already? J

Comments

Displaying all 11 comments
  1. that idea exists. the concept so far is to use small coin-sized modules.
    one for the battery and charging controll, one with the main circuit (atmega), one for each sensor, one for stuff like input/output to neurons. those bilding blocks could be wired up with flexible cables and some dynema to prevent cables from tension. then coat everything in silicon, and implant.
    i do have a bunch of parts. but havent worked too much on it yet
  2. I've been thinking about how to make the wiring, and how to implant it. If it's thin enough it could be injected. That would be nicer than laying it in an incision. Also, you might want 'bulkheads' of some sort at points along the wires to stop infections spreading down them.

Maybe we should liven up the forums a bit and do a group project?
  3. Are you talking wiring between implants and implant modules?

I know there are already similar implants in the form of 3D bodymodding, for cosmetic appearance. A wire that is threaded through the skin. Would the normal plastic or rubber used for insulation of wires suffice here as bioproofing, or what was the general plan in that camp?
  4. What do you guys think of using conductive tattoo ink for wiring? Think it would carry enough current?
  5. If it was even able to carry a "1" signal a couple feet I'd would so use it for my I/O project.
  6. I/O project? Do tell. Maybe start a new thread for it.
  7. Well I'm still formulating it. My original plan was to use multiple RFID chips + a reader until it was pointed out to me that RFID readers use a lot of power, and I was convinced a simpler setup with wires would work better.

It's basically an implanted keypad designed to signal to an external CPU such as a smartphone... it could be used to communicate with other implants specifically but in general it is to have a basic interface to work with. My initial plan is to use it to control an audio library for on the fly "offline audio googling". I'm a bit of a research junkie.
  8. And as for any progress I've made: none at all... I'm about to implant my first magnets next month sometime, and after that I'll start putting together the project because the school semester will also be over.
  9. It's interesting you mention conductive ink, because I recently came across a method of making the stuff DIY, for only about $100 or so (including equipment).  By my maths, the stuff has a conductivity of something like 3 megasiemens/meter, which is awesome for conductive ink.  The only thing, though, is that I don't know how safe it is to use as tattoo ink.  Given some of the chemicals used, I don't know how much faith I'd put in the stuff.

~Ian
  10. Given the pricetag I'll probably go with some kind of high tensile wire then XD
  11. I'm suspicious of conductive tattoos because they aren't insulated or even shielded. You'd need a lot of them, and they would need to be spaced apart enough that the signal won't leak across, even when the skin is wet.

I was talking about wiring between modules, yeah. I have no idea if the normal wire insulation is bioproof, but I wouldn't take chances.

http://www.phoenixwireinc.com/ might be closer to what you want
Displaying all 11 comments