Bottlenose question

edited August 2016 in Magnets
Hi, this is my first post and it's worth mentioning that i don't have a magnet yet so i dont yet have a 'feel' for how an implant works. but i was wondering if EM fields picked up by implants interfere with signals sent by a bottlenose? for example if you were to take the rangefinder example used in the wiki, and used this while walking around an EM field source like a microwave, would the rangefinders output be distorted?

Comments

• I cannot speak directly to the bottle nose but I believe the problem would actually be in the magnet implant (assuming your using that). The magnet will react to any source. So if you are using the bottlenose and happen upon a strong field you will not (likely) notice that you are not sensing with the bottle nose.

Some people say you can feel the difference between fields kicked of by electronics.

It isn't perfect and the makers will be the first to tell you.
    I don't see interference with the device but rather the magnet.

Hope that helps and welcome to the club! Don't hesitate to post questions it helps you and gives people like me the chance to talk and sometimes make a fool of myself ;)
  • yeah that's what i meant, with the magnet picking up the interference. im just wondering how significant a problem this is. if there's a significant difference in the strength of the two (even if there isnt you could make one by increasing the strength of the bottlenose) then perhaps placing the magnet in a less sensitive area would allow you to detect the bottlenose but not the ambient fields

• edited August 2016
    I don't have any implants but have played around with gluing magnets to my fingers and going around looking for magnetic fields to feel.  I'm sure an implanted magnet would be more sensitive but I don't think interference will be much of a problem unless you are really exposed to high magnetic fields.

With the glued on magnets, I have felt the buzz of some power adapters and could easily feel the push or pull of permanent magnets while moving my hand over them.  I have yet to feel anything from a microwave oven and the only power cord I could feel anything around was an air conditioner using a lot of power.  Again, a real implant should be more sensitive but I still think the coil from the bottlenose would be stronger than most interfering magnetic fields considering the coil of the device would be closer to the magnet than the interfering field.

I haven't tried a bottlenose but have started ordering parts to possibly build my own.  I couldn't locate actual plans for the bottlenose but I assume it is basically an Arduino microprocessor controlling an ultrasonic ping sensor with the output going to a coil instead of a display.  The programming could be customized however you want.  It sounds like a fun and potentially useful device.

Keep in mind, the implanted magnet is just one way to get the information from the sensor into your body.  Light, sound, vibration, etc. could be used instead of the magnetic implant. 

Here's a video that shows a device something like a bottlenose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUsW2SPW-Y
  • :D Correct on how the bottlenose works with fields. The general idea is to produce a field the magnet picks up and reacts to. Then you can feed information to this magnet from either sensors or other data sources (hello morse code!). Weather or not a device will interfere depends solely on the strength and proximity o the field. If the bottlenose is set up with the inductor pretty close to the implant, that'll reduce potential interference.

https://github.com/GrindhouseWetware/bottlenose Slight mistake with the diagram, it;s supposed to be an inductor there and not a capacitor, Been meaning to make that fix. That's also just for the bluetooth based example. The standard sensor-to-pulse assembly essentially puts an inductor where you'd expect an LED to go. For most LED based feedback examples. But here's the current arduino library! We also have code in there for bluetooth communications over android as well.
  • Thanks for the link to the Arduino files.  I am getting lots of errors when I try to compile it but it is probably something I'm doing wrong here.  I'm just learning how the Arduino works and couldn't get the newest version to run on my old Linux computer.  I'll try changing operating systems someday.

My plan, to start with, is just to use the Ping example and add in an output to an LED or coil flashing that output somehow to indicate the distance.  Once I got that part working, I can make things more fancy.
  • You might need to import the library still. If you download the repo as a zip, you can go to
    Sketch > Include Library > add .zip library, 
    And it'll be added to your library, and also add two examples under "Examples from Custom Libraries" in your file menu. 
    I'm not 100% sure if the older versions of arduino use the same system. But using the ping example as a starting point is a perfect idea! Once you can see it working with the LED, you should be able to just swap it out with the inductor and be good to go. Side note: I've found that it's much easier to feel when it pulses as opposed to simply having a current pushed through. This works out pretty well for distance turns out, as you can just pulse current through it either faster or slower :D
  • edited August 2016
    BirdMachine

I am still waiting for the Ping sensors to be delivered but I got the bottlenose files to verify and upload to the Arduino.

I found the solution here.

What I had to do was move the bottlenose.cpp , bottlenose.h , and keyword.txt files out of the Bottlenose folder and into the main bottlenose-master folder.

I don't know if this is/was a problem just for me or if others would have the same problem with the https://github.com/GrindhouseWetware/bottlenose files.
  • Looking around on GitHub, I found @BirdMachine's cleaned up version of the bottlenose library.

https://github.com/BirdMachine/bottlenose

This is closer to what I was thinking without all the extra code since I don't have an android phone anymore.

There is a file included called "sleep.ino" which sounds very interesting to me but I don't understand how the potentiometer is hooked up to read rapid eye movements.

It sounds like this could be adapted into some kind of sleep mask that would flash an LED or something to alert the sleeping person that they were in REM sleep and possibly induce lucid dreaming.