IrDA

Maxim finally shipped out those samples I ordered a few months ago, and I'm going to start breadboarding up some circuits for them to play with.
Question is, how do I test skin transmittivity? I'll select the IrLED and detector to fit into the infrared window, but what do you guys think would be a good way to test skin transmission? If you think it's worthwhile I'll knock together a complete implant with storage, but that seems a bit much to evaluate IrDA.
Tagged:

Comments

• lift up your skin, clamp it in place with something, maybe add some light-blocking around the LED so the light has to pass through the skin , in and out. No surgery needed.
  • Wow, finally. I'm excited to see how this goes. Maybe you could use some pig skin or something, bacon? :D
  • um... if you are an uncircumcised male you have a pretty easy way to test light transmission of skin.
  • Not applicable, haha
  • I have an article on the light transmission properties of skin (LINK). Found it while I was looking for research for my Neuro-interface project.
  • My other concern is how to coat something so it's not going to dissipate a lot of the IR, silicone will fuzz it up and anything opaque is right out.
  • @ElectricFeel, perhaps Parylene? You could still see the NorthStar's Led plenty bright through that. Maybe just a bigger LED if you need to. I was also thinking of the apparatus that you would use to program it. You could always have some sort light blocking material around the programming site.
  • What do you mean to program it? You would use the same data link channel as the other data.
  • Sorry, *Data Transfer Site/Data Transfer Apparatus
  • I wouldn't get stressed up about the implant coating diffusing the light. The skin will do that anyway. 2 mm more or less hardly make a difference. You'll have to drive it half duplex with a protocol to avoid collisions anyway. Nothing too hard tho.
  • You always want to optimize at the physical layer before you start designing protocols. Good footing leads to better results, and I always try to consider every possible failure mode before I get started.