Polarity

edited December 2015 in Magnets
(1) does a magnet implant allow you to feel the polarity of a magnetic field?

(2) if not, would it be possible to charge two conductive pieces of metal by induction, one to - and one to +, insulate them with some sort of bio-safe non-conductive insulator material without losing the charge, and then implant them in different fingers? I'm assuming this would allow you to 'sense' polarity, but this is not my area of expertise so I would love some input on this.
Tagged:

Comments

• You can't create a monopole. There's no process know to man that can create a purely positive or negative magnetic source.
  • @Alesia
    about 1: as far as we know, the primary mechanism for feeling magnetic fields by implants is via the vibration of the magnet. Feeling static magnetic fields is rather difficult.
    about 2: two things. first, you feel magnetic fields, not electric ones. The only time you can feel electric charges is when they are moving (aka electric current). The other things is, electric fields themselves. Your physics works great in vacuum or free air where fields are just happy little fellas with nothing influencing them. But your body is a pretty conductive mix of liquids and the electric fields inside it are shielding lower frequencies pretty well.
  • @Alesia, I have a Haworth magnet and an M31 magnet. The Haworth magnet will spin around to present an opposite pole to a permanent magnet. I can feel that rotation. If I know the polarity of one magnet I can figure out if the next magnet is the same pole or the opposite pole. I built a "Magic Box" [LINK] to demonstrate this idea at a convention.
    My M31 doesn't rotate and I know the south pole faces out so if my finger is repelled I know I'm feeling another south pole.
  • I implanted 2 magnets in the side of my hand one with the north out one with the south out. They also have a hole in the middle of the magnet that I heeled through and holds their polarity in place. So yes I can feel poles. I can feel a push on my front magnet and a pull on the back on and I know that is north and vise versa.