M31 implant rejection and reimplantation
edited August 2016 in Procedures
So last week Thursday (November 26th 2015) I got an m31 magnet implanted into my left ring finger. In order to minimize the chance of rejection, I requested that it be placed quite deeply and that sutures be used instead of glue. I got a nerve block done (Levobupivacaine via transthecal block: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/80887-technique#c3) so I couldn't feel anything at all during the procedure. The magnet was sterilized in 99% ethanol, instead of the supplied agent. The implantation itself was done via a small incision that was then opened into a pocket with plastic forceps before the magnet was forced in. A video of the procedure was taken, but I don't have it yet. I'm attaching a link to a few photos of the suturing. You'll notice that you can't even see the magnet. Palpating the site, you can't feel the magnet at all. No signs of infection, and minimal tenderness around the suturing area.
Today, however, I walked past a Sensormatic RFID+AM loss prevention panel and felt the little bugger vibrate for the first time! I'm going back in a few days to remove the sutures (so that they'll have stayed in for one week). When I change bandages, I can already pick up needles when the bandage is off.
Is this kind of recovery time normal? I was under the impression that it'd take a month before I could feel vibrations.
Since he's started kicking, I need to name him. Any ideas? :)
I don't have relevant knowledge to help you but I follow your topic since a few weeks and I am curious about what happened next.
Do you still have this problem?
The magnet came out when I was changing my dressing. It literally just clung onto the fibres of the bandage and got pulled out. It wasn't painful, nor was there swelling. Only a little blood.
I gave the magnet to a friend of mine in the same university who's doing his Masters in material science to take a look at the coating and he told me that it was perfectly intact, so it wasn't a quality issue.
yeah I too had my first magnet reject because of too much after care... band-aids and neosporyn kept it too wet, didnt let it heal.