3D Printing Implants

Has anyone 3D printed there own implant?

Looking for tips as far as flexible filament that is biosafe, as well as any other insight.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• not sure about the flexibility part.
    In this rather thick book i have around about biomedical engineering there are a number of polymers listed with their properties.
    you may be able to find a digital copy on the web.
    the ISBN: 978-0-07-170473-1
    BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING AND DESIGN HANDBOOK
    Volume 1: Fundamentals
    by Myer Kutz

you could try to look into HDPE. It's probably a bit difficult to print but at least it's not brittle. The often used PLA won't cause harm inside your body, but it will get bio-eroded away over the course of weeks, so at one point your implant will simply vanish.
    You may want to try sourcing higher purity materials than what you can get for a few bucks on ebay. You should keep in mind that 3d-printing won't give you the best surface and you may get holes in there somewhere.
  • I have 3D printed a mold to make my implant, but I dont know of any bio safe 3D printing materials.

HDPE is 3D printable but always comes out really stringy, and PLA is biodegradable so that wont work, ABS is not safe inside, but I could do some tests with printing silicone if you really want to know if that works or not (dont see why it wouldnt with a frosting extruder)
  • What is the purpose of the 3d printed implant?  I mean, what could one 3d print that would also not just be inert?
  • What about custom enclosures for implantable electronics? It wouldn't be purely 3D printed of course but all the electronics could be neatly encased on the inside while the outside could conform to the part of the body it was meant to inhabit.
    Like custom hearing aids.
  • With a3d printer you can creat the perfect shell for yourimplants so they stick in your body. 

The coolest and newest is  a 3d printed titanium case for a patient that had cancer. 

mmuyskens  What material can your printer print?