Inductive charging range

Hi all

Been corresponding with a piercer I plan to have install my implantable edison when ready, got told this regarding the charging range:
"The skin and coating together will likely be around the 8mm limit thick I would think, if you have an option for a further charging range I would suggest you take it."

Qi charging (which is what I planned to use) has this maximum range by default, though apparently newer charging pads are capable of going up to 30mm on existing receivers, which would be fine if I could find such a newer charging pad.

There is of course the adafruit inductive charging set or a custom circuit, but that brings with it the risk of losing the charger and having adafruit discontinue it - the attraction of Qi is that I should be able to replace the charger down the line quite easily.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Tagged:

Comments

• The difference between Qi and a custom circuit or the adafruit circuit is that Qi has communication built in that communicates the status of the battery and charging allowing the coil to stop broadcasting when it's no longer needed.

If the adafruit module was discontinued it would be trivial to produce a replacement module. Qi standard limits aren't any physical barrier, they are just limits for a certain efficiency. I'm fairly sure you can buy a chinese charger and it will work over a longer distance, with much higher losses.