The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Unlock your notebook with a magnetic lid switch pattern!

After getting my implant a bit over a month ago, I looked into reading the lid open/close events on my laptop, since I found out I could turn the screen off at the touch of my finger (in the right spot). The lid switch is a small magnetic sensor somewhere on the surface of most laptops that detects the field of a small magnet embedded in the opposite side of the laptop to shut off the display and suspend the pc. I wrote a little python script that can recognize simple patterns of lidswitch presses based on length and keypresses: https://github.com/S0lll0s/magnetman It works on linux and [i]should[/i] work on mac Os X too. Sorry for the terribly written post, I'm typing on mobile on the bus. I'll update with a video some time next week (hopefully).

Comments

Displaying all 4 comments
  1. This sounds pretty interesting; any way to get this running on Windows?
  2. There probably is a way to get something running on windows, but I don't know the architecture there and it could very well be that the software would need to be a driver to access the information there.

I am using evdev, which as I just found out is completely linux specific, meaning mac os isn't possible either. I will look if I find a cross-platform library/level to work on, but I'm afraid I won't be able to work on that simply because I don't have installs of windows or mac to play around with.
  3. This can definitely be done in windows. Powershell has the ability to monitor for a lid closing event since windows 7. If there is some interest, I think I can get something written in the next week or so.
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktzL6yKCfN0

made a little video showing some things - not sure whether I can embed it here?
Displaying all 4 comments