Implantable edison project

Comments

• Not sure if they want me to publically disclose names yet but i'm working with someone who's helping out on the coating side of things and working on the logistics for that.

Until then i'm working more on the software side of things.
  • By the way @McStuff - I spent your funds on a UART which I can add bluetooth to for serial console access after implantation
  • Hmm, i just realized that this is kinda like something that everyone kinda got talking about and then dropped a year ago. Have you checked out the notes for the precosity platform on slack?

• @garethnelsonuk ... the edison comes with wifi and bluetooth already. I wonder why you went for an UART for serial console access. I mean there's wifi+ssh and serial via bluetooth for accessing the system
  • You can't access the bootloader with the built in bluetooth - which could cause major problems if the OS config ever gets messed up.
  • edited November 2015
    Here is that image for the bioinput system I was trying to describe to you.
    Link
  • edited November 2015
    My idea here is for nerves to grow around the magnetic for converting the pulses from the electromagnetic field generator (emfg) to nerve impulses that can then be under stood by the brain. Allowing for a effective and constant input to the brain. The glass is for bio proofing.

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • Why not just have electrodes stimulating the nerves?
  • My thought was that there will be less of a risk using a magnet than running current through the nerve cells. If something goes wrong with a magnet it's less likely give nerve damage.
  • I would categorize the things that can go wrong with a magnet like this: Coating failure/flaw(damages the nerves) and Mechanical trauma(damages nerves). Coating issues are extremely real, especially if you're implanting in/near a big nerve. Mechanical trauma is more likely to be caused by the way the magnet accelerates and decelerates compared to the surrounding tissue (One of the issues they have with DBS electrodes).

On a more pressing note, the brain has no mechanoreceptors and none of the nerves that sense pain. So the magnetic-interface method doesn't really do squat with the brain. Also, the head is most often subjected to MRIs, CAT scans, and other things with magnets. So unless you want magneto to "move the coin" that is the magnet in the brain, I wouldn't put anything near it.

I started a thread (LINK) on the topic of electrodeless neuro-interfaces.
  • I would like clarify that it would be implanted behind the hand, I had designed it for my eeg guitar with the idea it will tell me when to stop when I start building tension.

This will soon be getting sent off for coating and sometime in the new year will then be getting implanted in my arm.
  • @garethnelsonuk, may I ask who is going to be coating it?
  • Sorry for being all secretive but not sure if I can disclose that in public yet
  • @garethnelsonuk, It's cool man. No worries.
  • https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

This looks cool, might use it for the next version
  • I'm planning on picking up a RasPi Zero sometime this week since its free with the MagPi magazine. I also began to take a look at your github repo for CyborgNet a few weeks ago since you began to code it in Python. Did you have some time this week to talk about it via IRC or something?
  • Take care, the magazine is sold out almost everywhere, I was lucky to snag one myself but wanted more and the poor shopkeeper was asking me why it's so insanely popular.

Focus on the docs/protocol.txt file in the github repo, the actual code is nowhere near usable yet as i've been focused on other things. If you find me on IRC, my nick is GarethTheGreat on freenode, drop me a PM if you want my attention as i'm not always watching the channel.
  • There's a possibility my arrangement to get this coated might fall through after all :(

Anyone got ideas? I've already begun arranging the appointment to get it implanted in the new year
  • @garethnelsonuk I am having @AlexSmith coat a prototype nfc tag for me in silicone. I wonder if you ask him super nicely if he would be willing to help you out.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi, I never commented in this thread before because well... sorry to be offensive but I find this project is not great. I think the implant is far too big, and has hardly any benefits. I'm not interested in working on it for the sake of the project, but I guess I could help with coating if you want to pay for it. What do you want exactly? 
  • How much would you need to coat it in silicone (or another suitable bioproofing material)?
  • I'm not really sure, for something like this you'd probably want to used a mold, based on those pics I'd guess the silicone would cost $30~$40, and then there is time cost and making the mold. Would you be able to make the mold? then I could just fill it with silicone.

also, what temperature would be safe to cure the silicone at? I.e. I don't want to cook the electronics while doing the coating.
  • @AlexSmith
    I have been following this thread because I see it as a stepping stone not as a practicality. To bigger and better, but first we must prove implants this big can work in practice. Whouldn't you agree?

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • Almost everything we do on this forum is a stepping stone toward our future goals, but everything has pros and cons, I think the cons outweigh the pros for this particular project.
  • edited December 2015
    Ah, sweet, sweet criticism. I have missed seeing it on this forum. @garethnelsonuk a few questions for you to answer:

1. What purpose will it serve? Not a theoretical purpose you think it might serve in the future but what right now would this project be able to provide?

2. Why can't this be put in a smaller form factor? I understand you like the idea of lots of processing power, but what on earth are you actually going to be doing that requires the GHz range worth of power?

3. Are you really going to be using all the pins provided by this platform? The RAM? The slots? Years are spent miniaturizing implantable technology and stripping it down to as few components as possible. Here it seems like you've taken the biggest and baddest and most excessive piece of hardware you could find and said "yep, I need all of that" without considering what you need it for.

4. How are you going to power it? (Especially if you are going to be taking advantage of its processing power) this is not a system that can run on a small form-factor battery for very long.
  • I'm always up for constructive criticism and reality checks, so here's my responses:

1 - Speech recognition interface, data storage

2 - To be honest, it probably can be shrunk down a bit more, but I do like having the room for expansion

3 - I actually chose the edison due to physical size, features (wifi+bluetooth builtin) and low power consumption, i've found other platforms that would work but they are of the "minimal order of 1000" type - i'm open to recommendations here of course

4 - lipo battery + qi charging, i've tested and it runs for quite a few hours just fine
  • How many hours?
  • edited December 2015
    May I ask why you didn't go with a IPhone bored? Reasonable power and low power consumption with our the screen, plus Bluetooth and wifi.