Hormone enhancement

edited January 2015 in Everything else
A member of a transhumanist discussion group on Facebook asks this question:
"A modification I would love to have done...

So, I have always wanted to gain muscle, but no amount of throwing
calories in did anything for me. A bodybuilder friend of mine suggests
using anabolic steroids, but one, they're illegal here and two, steroid
hormones of any kind cause vertigo in susceptible people, including me
(found that out the hard way, lol).

But, you do have your own
endogenous ones, even if you're a girl or woman. I had the idea of
taking some zona reticularis tissue, cultivating it externally until you
have large amounts of it(if that was possible - I'm not sure if you
could get those cells to divide), then re-implanting it under the skin.
It would be entirely your own, so no rejection.

Sadly this
isn't one where you can go the Lepht Anonym route. It kind of involves
inserting a hollow needle into an area dangerously close to your spine.
One little slip and there would go my ability to walk, run, lift, sit
and stand, and piss in a toilet instead of a bag."
I like the idea. Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Ohhh, that was me!. I'm Kaliane from H2.0. *high five* Thanks for sharing!!

Sorry I didn't post it myself, only just discovered this site literally a few hours ago.
  • LOL. Well right on, welcome to biohack.me. This is pretty much the best place to go for wisdom on matters like this.

Seems like the two main issues with this mod are:

- It kind of involves inserting a hollow needle in your adrenal gland. This isn't exactly something you can do by yourself after sterilizing your bathroom in the mirror.

- Whether you could get that kind of tissue to grow exogenously...
  • What FB group are you guys having these convos on? I am always open to new sources of information!
  • The Human 2.0 Council. My name on there is Kaliane Moloch
  • No one knows?

Does anyone think this mod is something you could do on your own without severe dangers?
  • That is WAY to dangerous.  Take some HGH or wait until something better comes along.
  • I've been researching the procedure part of this. It involves a very big needle. It looks like a 2 person job for sure. I just watched some videos on kidney biopsies that looked really painful. That said, a lot of them are performed without anesthesia, if that is any reflection on the pain factor.

@Lukas: Any commentary on the feasibility of external cultivation or the odds of acceptance?
  • Cultivation of human tissue is quite tricky... It is hard to get it growing without having a complete body around it.
    If you can implant it without the tissue dying off it will not be rejected, since it is your own. Still, it has to survive the implantation which probably includes some growth factors which promotes cancer...
  • I was thinking cancer as well. You don't want it to continue growing rapidly after implantation.

Also yes, for sure, it would be a 2 person job. In addition, you need machinery to be able to see what you're doing. Needle aspiration biopsies are normally done with computer tomography or ultrasound apparently...
  • @DirectorX:  Something like cell transfer is only really feasible in a professional setting.  I prefer the HGH approach. 
  • Transient transfection via a virus targeting the tissues only to overexpress the hormones?
  • @Spyral:  That might work
  • That sounds less dangerous, yeah.
  • I wonder how you would get a virus to do that, though. Wouldn't it have to somehow behave like ACTH?
  • I don't know you'd have to research the pathway for expression and see if you could just upregulate the gene in question which produces the hormone. However you'd need to dose it into tissues capable of expressing it and in a location where it's desired which might mean multiple injections.
    Also you'd need to do tests to determine the output so you know what dose to take!
  • Vlech. That's way more than one non scientist can do on their own...
  • @Hypermoloch:  That's why we have this entire community.

~Ian
  • The hard part is figuring out what genes to upregulate and what tissues to target. Once you know the informaton the engineering itself should be straightforward.

Adenovirus or lentivirus with the modifications.

C/F : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_therapy
  • Thanks...LOL...I am a moron. I learned about that process 2 years ago in my sciences module...but it has all gone outta my head.