Testing the coating on magnets

edited February 2017 in Magnets
Hi all,

What methods are good for verifying (as best as can be done) the quality of magnet coatings? Whether I coat one myself or purchase a pre-coated one, I'd like to ensure that what I'm putting in my body is safe. 

I happen to have access to a research-grade Parylene coating chamber, so I'll likely use this. I'll certainly inspect the magnet visually with a microscope but would like a more rigorous test. What immersive solutions have been found to reveal imperfections or gaps without compromising the coat?

Most responses to this kind of query are "don't do it yourself, wait for the M31". It seems like (a) rejection rates are comparable if not higher for metal-coated magnets than for parylene, and (b) if I perform similar testing to those who sell implant magnets, and mine pass all tests, I have no reason to believe mine are any less safe. I would also perform these tests on a pre-coated magnet no matter how many people tell me "the guys who made them know what they're doing".

Thanks,
E
Tagged:

Comments

• I pretty sure its just salt water.
    Can someone verify this for me?

Also, what are you looking for after the magnet has been submerged for an extended amount of time? Bubbles? Rust?
    Is it going to be noticeable?

• edited August 2017

I think you want something that will react with whatever is under the parylene coating but not the parylene. If you are going to do the coating yourself, you might be able to do a better job than a commercial company. I, and I'm sure others here, would be interested in the research-grade Parylene coating chamber. I think parylene is a good and safe coating if done right.

The saltwater test might be enough depending on what is under the parylene and I think it is the standard test here. I think it is the same as contact lens saline solution or a 0.9% solution of salt. This would be 9 grams per liter or around 1/2 tsp in 240 ml (~8 ounces) of water.

This was copied from another older post I made on this group.

https://forum.biohack.me/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/21007

Cassox has the start of a very good write up on the implant procedure.

http://augmentationlimitles.ipage.com/?page_id=252

His site also has information about the testing procedures.

Nickel Exposure Series 0

Nickel Exposure Series 2

Forced Failure Testing

Surgical Hand Scrubbing

• Is the sight of rust what determines if the coating is damaged? Thats the only reaction that I think would occur to show.

This is also for a TiN coated magnet