The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Hyperelastic printable "bone" for implants

So I came across a journal article on Science Translational Medicine (fun sounding journal, no?) that talks about a new biomaterial that is essentially a 3d printable, highly elastic, "bone" that is implantable and responds with blood vessel penetration, and eventually just grows into new bone for the body naturally over time. The "ink" for the printing is really simple. It is hydroxyapatite (available over the web it seems) and PLGA, the polymer that binds it and makes it bendy, which also appears to be available for sale without restrictions. This is peer-reviewed stuff and not some fantasy. (STM Vol. 8 Issue 358, 28 September 2016)

My question for you all is: doesn't this seem like a critical tool in considering some of the larger implant projects? The stuff right now is being used for facial reconstruction and other injury repair but it seems like the kind of stuff that is pregnant with possibilities for grinders. That it can be 3d printed leaves the possibility of incorporating designs for bone modification right into the thing from the start. 

Anyone doing 3d printed bio devices might want to see if this fits in with what your dreams could be. There have been numerous posts about the problems with implants and blood vessel impermeability (leading to cell/tissue death) that this seems to work brilliantly to address. Any thoughts about this? Anybody already seen this and know why it couldn't work?