The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Flow Hood / Biocontainment Unit

Comments

Displaying all 4 comments
  1. So this is the finished biocontainment unit. I had an earlier failed monster I'd tried to make but it was way overcomplicated. This is easy, quick, cheap, and should hold it's own.

It's based off of a free standing metal shelving unit. The walls are plain wipe-able wall panels. The side panel and door are made of some salvaged plastic panels and the from window is just plexiglass. The metal tape is the type used for air systems like vents and airconditioners.

The objective is to have continuous positive pressure and clean airflow to decrease the likelihood of contaminents like spores etc. in your work space. Everything must be wipeable. In this case, I'm using a small wet/dry vac as an air pump. Although you can buy HEPA filters for these things... I found it prohibitively expensive. Instead, I use a plain filter to function like a pre-filter in the unit and then added a couple plastic snap boxes inside and mounted a series of HEPA fitlers within. This also disperses the airflow better.

As cool as I think the gloves look... I'm not super happy with them. They are so thick that you lose a lot of dexterity. If you wanted a simple laminar style flow hood, the gloves could easily be left out. You'd have to change the position of the air inlet to make it "laminar" but it really wouldn't change much over all. Because of the delicate nature of an upcoming the project I'm keeping the gloves as of now. Also, the air system is going to be extended outside rather than just recirculating in the lab.

I've checked all the edges and seals and everything seems to be holding up well.
  2. That looks awesome! Could you tell us more about the materials used for the device?

This looks like it's meant to be a Class III hood model. How do you get things into it and is it gas tight?
    Or is this more of a mock up for future work?

Why wouldn't you just go for a laminar Class II model? It works up to bsl3 and since none of us are the cdc.... Laminar can be spec'd out, like a the flow can be measured. Gas leakage is little more iffy. As is the attached autoclave chamber necessary for a glove box. However, I may be missing something.

3. Oh one other thing I missed. I just got in some UV sterilization bulbs to be mounted on the inner face.
  4. I don't know what kind of work you'll be doing in this, but have you considered backup pumping mechanisms, in case your main one fails? Beyond that, it sounds pretty sweet. What're the dimensions for the interior?
Displaying all 4 comments