The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

looking to do my first m31 implant (finally)

Hi guys,

Last year i had displayed great interest in implanting a magnet in the ring finger of my non-preferred hand. Due to a looming marriage and the final year of college I fell off the wagon until recently it came to mind again when i accidentally sliced three fingers at work (funny way to remember huh?). 
Anyways, with the m31 having been put up for sale (something i had been waiting for since i wasn't to privy of the parylene idea) I am pretty well decided on doing this. I spent the last day or two catching up with the on goings of the forum and noticed the idea of coring with a 10 or 12 gauge needle vs. the scalpel method. Seeing the results of this, I thought I would like to go this route to add my own experience of the method for reference.
If anyone doesn't mind contacting me, I would love to have a little more preparatory guidance from the more experienced. The goals I have in mind are this:

- implant an m31 in my left ring finger
- use a heavy gauge need as the method to "core" the area
- because this will be a self implantation (unless anyone close to the WV/OH wishes to help) I will likely use pain management in order to take my time
- document and share the process (possibly with video as well?)

From what i read there was no need for a suture using this method versus using a scalpel (been a while since i read about using the scalpel so it may have been update/improved since i last looked). Is there anything I missed or anything else i should consider (sterile environment aside)? Is there any type of documentation that you guys would like to see from my experience when I finally have everything in place?

Comments

Displaying all 4 comments
  1. A video of the implantation procedure and a basic summary of your pre-operative prep would be great. A day by day journal with pictures of the healing cycle would also be appreciated. Have you talked with @aviin yet? I believe he was one of the first to use this method, and I believe there were problems with rejection.
  2. I haven't reached out to anyone on a singular basis yet. Tomorrow I'm going to be talking to a good friend of mine that owns a tattoo shop to see if i can get a good lesson on staying sterile since he also does piercings. I feel my largest concern will be guiding the needle to the right depth and location. 
  3. Haven't quite gotten to the implantation portion of the procedure, but if you look here, we've got a fair guide written on how to maintain a sterile environment.
  4. My life has gotten really unpleasantly complex lately, so I apologize for not getting back with you sooner.  I responded to your PM (though I didn't have much new to contribute, unfortunately).  Regarding rejection, I had no issues at all with the needle implants.  The problems I had occurred with the scalpel implantations I did.  I'm not going to knock the scalpel method, though.  My issues were probably mostly due to my being a little too quick to remove them when they may have healed if I'd been patient.  I do prefer the needle method, though.  A smaller break in the skin means faster healing (with less chance of infection) and no need for anything beyond some gauze for a day or two followed by a simple band-aid.

Personally, I wouldn't trade those scalpel attempts for the world, though.  I learned a ton and am very glad I did them, even if they didn't work out in the end.  The studying I did for suture technique (and getting to actually do it) gave me a skill that I know I'll get to use again someday when newer, bigger, more complex implants start to appear.  And on that day, I may even finally resort to some form of pain management ;)
Displaying all 4 comments