The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Is anyone currently DOING anything to try and reverse aging/stop death?

Comments

Displaying comments 31 - 36 of 36
  1. I also ran across this today which has me re-thinking some assumptions. Basically it links mitochondrial epigenetics and aging. http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150522/srep10434/full/srep10434.html
  2. @DirectorX The targeting would be very difficult in this particular situation. As I mentioned, immortalized cells are basically cancer cells to begin with. They have a lot of the same markers. My understanding is that you are going to have a lot of issues differentiating "sick" from "good". It's worth looking into tho...
  3. Stem cells are not cancer cells (yet). Basically it just takes one onco gene to make them go cancerous, so they are brittle. They don't grow out of control like tumor cells. They don't generally provoke an immune response if introduced back in to the original donor. They also divide slower. But point taken on what you are saying. It looks like iPSC probably wouldn't survive an oncolytic virotherapy. I guess p53 is used frequently to suppress tumors. I'm reading through the other current best practices now.
  4. Yeah, for some reason I was thinking that you were talking about inducing the cells to different types and then trying to locally introduce them.
    With most stem therapies, I believe that they just introduce them fresh, as it were.

With this standard methodology, there has only been reports of repair functions. And you still run the risk of cancer time even when doing an autologous transplant, especially if you are using iPS
  5. I'm O+ and in the UK. Willing to be a donor as long as I can get some of the final result! 

And thinking about it..what about axolotl's instead of jellyfish? Stuck as a juvenile until injected with iodine and you might get to grow a limb back as a side effect?
  6. I guess this is not DIY, since it's part of academia, but surely Aubrey de Grey's works with SENS is relevant?
Displaying comments 31 - 36 of 36