The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Is my magnet too deep?

So I got an n52 neodymium magnet implanted in the tip of my ring finger on Thursday. It measures 3mm by 2mm. Now, I have another magnet exactly like it and it is capable of lifting lighters, tweezers, key rings... however, the one in my finger isn't even capable of lifting a small paper clip or safety pin. Is the magnet too deep in my finger? Could there be something wrong with it? The man that did the implant for me told me that the magnet was coated in the medical grade silicon coating that is completely bioproof.... could the coating be too thick or something? I'm nervous that I'm going to be disappointed with this thing when I've been so excited for roughly two years.

Comments

Displaying all 8 comments
  1. Well, lifting force doesn't directly correlate to sensation. Give it time. Swelling decreases field strength ad does bandages. Be patient! You'll be fine!
  2. I'm trying, I'm just really excited to see what this thing is capable of. The interesting thing I've already noticed is that most people I've talked to have said that they couldn't notice magnetic fields around them until months after it was healed, but I have only had mine for two days, healing is not even close to complete, and I can feel a strange "buzzing" or a "vibrating" when I type on my laptop. This just makes me more pumped.
  3. Also, I feel an intense buzz when I'm anywhere near the microwave while it is on. Even from like two to three feet away.
  4. - Will I be the first person to implant my own magnet?
    - How deep do you implant a magnet? How can you tell it's the right depth?
    - I'm preparing to self-implant my M31 magnet if at all possible because... 
      (a) the vids I've seen seem to brutally cut much more tissue than necessary
      (b) I'm a very keen do-it-yourselfer for all the usual reasons of learning & cost
    - I'm quite aware of the need to sterilize well. (But even so, I've had countless renovating injuries that weren't sterile but still healed.)
    - If I do it myself, I'll use either cold numbing, or a tourniquet numbing.
    - I'll prob make my own very narrow 'scalpel' out of a dental probe I have.
    - The insertion will have to be using a plastic (non-magnetic) probe I'll invent and sterilize with alcohol or the stuff that came with the magnet.
    - Opinions? Warnings?
    Regards, Bruce Thomson in New Zealand.
  5. @tomo you definitely won't be the first to self implant. Quite a few of people who post here have self implanted. I'd recommend you check out @cassox's blog, I'm on mobile so I don't have a link but I believe its called augmentation limitless.

Scalpels and the other tools you need are all pretty cheap, I don't think anyone would recommend you make your own tools when they're available at a low price properly sterilized.

Edit: for pain management you'll want to buy the dangerous things pain management kit. I can't paste the link since my phone is being a piece.
  6. @Tomo

Making tools when there are plenty available is just setting yourself up for mistakes being made. While it looks like people are making really big cuts, the pocketing process is important. When you are implanting you magnet, you aren't going "deep" as in down, you are making a pocket in between the skin and the muscle. It requires a bit of gentle cutting and wiggling of the blade. You want to really get it tucked in there. It will migrate when you implant, so if you don't make enough of a pocket, you will end up with rejection.

With sterility, you may have had injuries that weren't sterilized and healed well, but did they involve stuffing things inside your fingers and keeping them there. You want your body to focus on healing. If it's fighting any bacteria, it generally tends towards expelling anything in the wound.

I suggest getting yourself a pair of titanium tweezers to do the placement. Cassox and I are using them and are very happy with how they work.

A tourniquet won't really numb, it will just reduce blood flow. This is good but there is no reason not to use anesthetic, so pick up a kit. The fingers are very sensitive. Be good to them. Nerve damage is not your friend.

Use proper tools. Follow the protocols.
  7. Agreed that proper tools are easy to come by etc... so if your going to go about making your own do something awesome. Like a big damn glass knife that you knapped by hand like a Neanderthal. I always want to do stuff like this, but Glims shoots me down. :( Also... suture please. I don't know why people are so adverse to suturing really. Its easy and works really well. The magnet will tend to want to migrate up and out. The nice part about the suture is that if placed well it's literally a little barrier keeping the magnet in. Oh, and maybe no hand knapped knives. Alas.
  8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0wBGxgaCk Alright! Flint knapping! Ha.
Displaying all 8 comments