The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

magnet coating allergy concerns

I just discovered biohacking and I am fascinated with magnet implants - both for fun and experimentation to hack pain.

But reading through the myriad posts on magnet coatings, I have a concern.

I have extreme allergies.  I see that some neodym magnets come nickel-coated and some are gold-coated, and I am allergic to nickel, chromium, and silver.  I also see that Parylene C can cause some sensitivity, but while being biosafe, is not very durable.  I am concerned that the "usual" magnets I see used stand a high risk of causing an allergic reaction for me, forcing removal.

I want to find a coating that is durable, biosafe, non-reactive (as in, it won't cause an allergic reaction or massive inflammation), and relatively inexpensive.  Does something like that exist?

Thank you for any input!

Comments

Displaying all 9 comments
  1. Her you go https://steve-haworth-modified-llc.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-1-1-2-38mm-x-1-4-6mm-hollow-center-heart-1
  2. I'm pretty sure that Cassox is working on some Titanium Nitride coated magnets. I'm pretty sure those would be just what you need.

I do not suggest using parylene. All of the tests I have run on it show it to be sub par.
  3. NuclearFantasies, Jack_Sylvane, glims, I thank you greatly for the input so far.

The Haworth magnet would be perfect - but it's out of my budget.

I am investigating either coating the magnet myself with a suitable material, or outsourcing the job.

LSR is too expensive.  AA-Bond FDA22 seems worth investigation, though.  It's Class VI (I know that doesn't guarantee it for long-term implantation) and not expensive.

To outsource, I don't know the protocol here.  Do I order the magnets I want myself?  Or am I ordering completed product from someone?

I admit I'm eager to move forward - but I know this has to be done right.
  4. I have VP 782N-3 Magnetic Tumble Stir Disc, parylene coated implanted.  I am also allergic to nickel.  From what I understand, most nickel allergies you aren't actually allergic to nickel, your body produces a compound in your sweat that breaks it down.  When it gets broken down it gets stuck to your skin which will leave a green rash that causes zits/sores. 

I have yet to have issues with mine, and they have been in for over a year.  If I wear a nickel watch I will have the rash after a day.  If you are worried about the reaction, superglue or tape a magnet to your arm for a couple days to be sure.
  5. @glims Titanium Nitride? How's he depositing it? 
  6. On a side note, I tried the AA-Bond FDA22 already. It's not optimal. When cured, it has a strange stretchy consistency. By tugging and manipulating it, you can easily pop the magnet right out. I don't advise it. Yes, the TiN coatings so far are the absolute best. The test results were worlds better than anything else and TiN is about as strong a coating as one can get. I'm likely going to get a batch of 200 made soon. I have 1 last step to test... the temperatures look good on paper, but I need to make sure the final product will still be N52 grade.
  7. Well, I'm going with multiple deposition runs to allow for polishing etc. I'm not 100% commited to to the TiN, as there is one more very promising potential coating that I'm exploring. I promise I'm working hard on these things, but I'm not going to release them to the wild until absolutely sure what I've got is the best possible product.
  8. By not recommending dental resin anymore, do you mean that it's downright harmful or prone to rejection? Or just not optimal? 
  9. Not harmful, just not optimal. No one who purchased a magnet from me reported a rejection. One person reported a magnet popping out after poor healing and then reimplanted it. I haven't heard any further updates so I assume it took. A person who made their own magnet using my method however reported rejection. The more I looked into the material, the more I realized this could be done so much better. The resin is semi-porous and thus we are still relying on the Parylene C as the main layer of protection. The resin was essentially a mechanical reinforcement for the Parylene. The issue with this is that it provides a great place for build up of bacterial film. In terms of toxicity etc, I doubt that there is significant difference from silicone but this can be done better. It will be done better.
Displaying all 9 comments