The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Possible use of saline injection in implant location prior to procedure?

Before placing anything under the skin a little pocket for the object must be created. A while ago I came across the Bagel-Head  (wikipedia) body-modification procedure.

In this procedure - 300-400 cc medical-grade saline is injected under the skin right above the eyebrows over a period of 2 hours creating a large bubble under the skin.

What I would like to know is where the saline goes before it's absorbed.
Does it go into the interstitial-space possibly creating a usable pocket suitable as an implantation space with a-lot less trauma that using a scalpel or other implement to create? Can this successfully be used on an area of the body other than the forehead?

I presume that it would most likely go into an area between the fatty tissue and the muscle layer below instead of in between the skin and fatty tissue. If so - would any implants be better suited in such a location. I have very little knowledge of the 'Bagel-head' procedure, so I wonder if anyone would like to chime in with their opinion in using such a technique for implants.

Comments

Displaying all 6 comments
  1. Down against the meat means further from the nerves; if it's a zero-feedback implant, possibly. From observing intramuscular injection of animals, a volume of fluid pushed under mobile skin (think around the armpit) will create a bubble, but I have NO idea what's going on inside it.

(Also: I've finally recovered access. Hi again, everyone! Just how out of date am I?)
  2. @Unqualified: GHWW implanted Circadia v0.1 into Tim Cannon. @Cassox, @glims, @zombiegristle and I are working on near infrared vision. @ThomasEgi is still crushing poorly thought out dreams, and @glims has filled in to do the same from a biochem side :P
  3. well aside from the dream crushing i also made good progress on having a set of miniature electronic modules. power supply and battery management are already done. this week i should get supplies for some experimentation on the electrode driver. but as far as i can tell the electrode driver , main cpu, and the entire power supply fit on a 22x24mm pcb with parts placed on one side. still many things to do, i'll publish the details when things reached a useable and safe level.
  4. Brilliant! I'm very slowly catching up. @Saal, do you have something on the near infrared vision I could read?
    @ThomasEgi; hey, boss, long time no see. ",) That's some serious miniaturization. What's planned for the buses?

@duneo: Sorry for the utter derailing.
  5. http://discuss.biohack.me/discussion/424/please-support-our-infrared-vision-project#Item_54 https://www.microryza.com/projects/can-we-biologically-extend-the-range-of-human-vision-into-the-near-infrared http://scienceforthemasses.org/
  6. @Unqualified so far most are unused, the SPI will probably be used by the bluetooth/radio module. other than that, whatever is offered by the atmega. i'll try to make things like TWI and UART available along with as many IO pins as space permits. [edit:]whupsie.. indeed. that's like major thread highjacking. sorry bout that. @unqualified, pm or irc me ;)
Displaying all 6 comments