The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Using magnets for surrounding-sensors

I just had this idea I thought would be nice to share:

Imagine a approximation sensor of some sort (I have not looked one up yet) attached to your finger (or wherever you think it is useful) connected with a small electro-magnet loosely attached to your finger with the implant. 

In off-mode, the electromagnet would not generate any field but when the approximation sensor detects an object nearby (distance must be defined) it forces the electromagnet to generate a field which you then would be able to feel with your finger.

The energy-source for both the sensor and the electro-magnet could be realized in form of a mobile-phone battery or something.

Future application would of course be internal (implanted) energy source.

what'ya think?

Edit: I just realized that smartphones have these tiny sensors on the top so these may be of some help. They are like 4x4x4 mm or something.

Comments

Displaying all 4 comments
  1. @newbie:  That sounds a lot like our Bottlenose device, actually, which also allows to use different types of sensors.  Kevin Warwick's students have also done something similar.
  2. It seems a bit silly to me.  If you're going to have a device attached to your finger that is supposed to translate sensor readings into vibrations, then why not vibrate the skin directly using a vibration motor or something like that?  That completely eliminates the need for the magnetic implant, which comes with obvious disadvantages compared to an external stimulator.
  3. Wouldn't a coil be far flatter?  You could stick it in a glove.
  4. Okay, despite the size and form I had in mind it's exactly like Grindhouse's bottlenose.. It seems I wasn't the frist one with that idea.. :)
Displaying all 4 comments