The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

How to evaluate private full genome sequencing providers?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows where you could get a full genome sequencing of yourself where they will give you the dump / usb drive / etc and delete all records of it.

I understand how it would be sketch if they didn’t see you in person to verify they are collecting from the same person so I would be ok with that part. I also know that med record laws in the USA require them to keep them for ~7 years, so a non-medical research context or another country without such requirements would be ok. I’m mostly doing this out of personal curiosity, so it’s for research purposes personally vs. medical.

I know casual searches show some companies like sequencing.com or guardiome, but they seem kind of sketch so I don’t know how much to trust them or how to actually evaluate them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think a illumina novasec 6000 is a six figure machine, so buying one of those is probably not practical too.

Comments

Displaying all 2 comments
  1. Nebula Genomics is pretty good if you want the privacy.

2. Nebula, yep. You can pay a little more for a three-time pass minimizing the error rate. You can export to Yfull for interpretations and a few others. In warning: the results are not easy to interpret and it did take quite a while to get the results back but totally worth it.

Displaying all 2 comments