The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Viral Editing?

Hi guys,

I am a 4th year biotech UG with an interest in viruses. The herpes simplex ll virus cure was found by genetically removing a protein used to cloak the bodies immune response to prevent production of anti-bodies, the Gd2 protein. 

I want to test this in mice, but I am not sure where to even begin?

Is there is a site I can order the modified virus in vaccine format for research? Subsequently, what if I wanted to test this on other viruses to removing cloaking mechanisms, how would I cut out a piece of virus RNA/DNA?

Comments

Displaying all 2 comments
  1. I would start with CRISPR. It's the most widespread/accessible method for cutting out specific genes from a segment of DNA that I am aware of. I'm no CRISPR expert, but it's probably worth looking into.

2. @ManiacBrainiac

I have been working on this project for the last ...3(?) years. What you want to do is create a BAC, bacterial artificial chromosome. And you can already order the virus with the knock out. Just remember that you need a -80C freezer for viral storage, and liquid nitrogen for mammalian cell work.

Fundamentals are crucial. Mammalian cell works starts in a flask. Not in mice. Mouse testing is ... well let's just say it';s more legal to stab yourself with something then it is to have an unlicensed mouse lab.

DONT INJECT YOURSELF

On that note, you would also need a way for the delta glyD viral particles to get into the cell. That means you need a secondary system set up to give the virus a one time pass that allows it to enter. This also requires a bsl2 lab and mammalian cells.

If you want to learn more , ask away.

Displaying all 2 comments