The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Risks of playing with magnet too soon?

7 days ago I had a local body modder implant one of Samppa's cylinder magnets (coated in parylene-C I think) in between my thumb and forefinger. Healing is going very well, she used a 3mm needle to make a hole that the magnet then went through - no rejection, no infection, everything's going swimmingly. Like I'm sure a lot of us have tried who has a magnet, I have tried picking up a couple paperclips and other small, light metal objects. No magnets or larger objects though.

I was told "don't play with it for 4 weeks at least!" and I've heard of people being told not to play with it for two months, even. And it got me thinking, why shouldn't I play with it? Might sound like a silly question because I know it's healing. But what actually are the risks of playing with it "too early"? Is there a chance it could reject despite the wound being closed and scabbed over?

Comments

Displaying all 4 comments
  1. Tried to upload images but I don't think it worked. Here's what it looks like

https://imgur.com/a/RkL1VNx
    https://imgur.com/a/Z4nDXot

2. Although I've not implanted one myself, I've heard that excessive use during the healing process damages/reduces the nerves that come close to the magnet - lessening your sensitivity to the magnet. In addition, some try to increase nerve growth by taking B-complex and increase sensitivity, but I'm unsure about how much that helps.

3. @Imbellis Although that may be true there's not enough nerves around the area I've got mine in for it to be any good at sensing anything anyway. It's a magnet for lifting, a pricey party trick pretty much. So if that's the only concern I should have, I should be fine playing with it now, but I'm not sure just yet.

4. My Bodymod says also two month - it was a very hard time, I lifted only after one month 2 paperclips. In my case I have the magnet in the ringfinger - sensation is so amazing - I have also the zylinder.

Displaying all 4 comments