The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

IQ affected by a single gene

Just thought a few people here might like to hear about this. 

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21705-best-evidence-yet-that-a-single-gene-can-affect-iq.html

Comments

Displaying all 6 comments
  1. That effect is so insignificant, I guess in the grand scheme of things it's interesting. But I wouldn't expect it could be compounded in any meaningful way.  
  2. So how does intelligence work?
  3. IQ isn't a meaningful indicator of intelligence, which is multifactor and complex. IQ is just a meaningful indicator of one's ability to do well on IQ tests.
  4. True and agreed that still begs the question how does intelligence work?
  5. I think it's still unfortunately stuck in "I know it when I see it".

It may actually be impossible to create a universal intelligence indicator (which begs the questions - should we? to what end?).

Indicators of aptitude in specific disciplines can certainly be quantified, however, and these are arguably more useful, and certainly more hopeful: If you are bad at math you still might be really good at programming; and you can always try hard and practice to become better at either.
  6. To what end is the universal question here.... I say push it further until it requires involuntary experimentation on others. I thought universial intelligence is impossible cause intelligence is more or less a bunch of trade offs....
Displaying all 6 comments