The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Full ORF DNA CLone

Hello again,
Excuse mty ignorance if this is a stupid question:
If you have a genedit disease based in the absence of a protein, Does a custom Full ORF DNA clone by plasmid of the missed protein could avoid or fix the disease?

Comments

Displaying all 3 comments
  1. ...potentially. There's no guarantee that the protein will be expressed.
    For simplicity I quote genecopoeia's faq: "A correct DNA sequence with a promoter does not guarantee you will get protein expressed. Many factors contribute to the success or failure of protein expression: 1) Did you use the right type of expression vector for your expression host system? For instance, our pReceiver-M01 vector is for mammalian cell expression and pReceiver-B01 is for bacterial expression. 2) If the protein is a membrane protein, does it need target sequence for proper localization? 3) Will the over-expressed protein be toxic to the host? 4) Will the protein be folded into its correct three-dimensional structure for proper function and/or immunological assays? 5) Have you checked the sequencing to see if you get an alternative splicing variant?"

2. thanks for the reply,
    I would also add, 6) Does the receptor works properly?.
    Would it be right?
    In case point 1,2,3,4 ( ufff scares ), and 5 could be solved, point 6 would be impossible to avoid?

3. Your best bet would be to test in a cell culture before you move to self-experimentation.

Displaying all 3 comments