The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Samarium Cobalt magnets

Hi guys!
I find Samarium Cobalt magnets. It's have been used for dental implants.  Each magnet can support a steel weight of up to 0.18kg. Normal N42 neodymium can support around 0,19kg. Is that a good option?

Comments

Displaying all 7 comments
  1. If memory serves, Samarium cobalt isn't really suitable for finger implants. An N52 Neodymium magnet is the "standard". A samarium magnet's going to be a lot bigger than a neodymium, and less strong too.
  2. Since it's already used by the medical field would it be suitable for implantation without coating? Is it already biocompatible?

The only stuff I have read about which is magnetic and biocompatible is maghemite but that is not strong and medically only used as nanoparticles.
  3. The difference in power between the N52 and Samarium Cobalt is about 50g only.
  4. Only? A tenth of a pound is a lot in this application. Also the size of the field is really the important aspect. I mean sure, the field tapers off into infinity.. but less strength means a smaller utile field. For applications where size isn't super important these are great though. They are way less susceptible to damage from heat.
  5. Maybe Stir bar in PTFE coating is good option here?
  6. That's a bit... Big. The implants done for fingers use magnets that are in the single-digits in millimeters, size-wise. Think "grain of rice" sized, not pea-sized.
  7. Thanks. I read actually about that. I will try with Samarium Cobalt magnets. Is 2x4mm is ok for finger?
Displaying all 7 comments