The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Parylene-C... What antiseptics can be used on it without damaging it?

I've got a personal project that may see me with a need to disinfect a parylene-C coated item for implantation.  It's being shipped to me sterilized with EO gas, but I may have to handle the item prior to implantation. 

I know that parylene-C coated magnets were pretty common a short while ago.  How were those sterilized/disinfected prior to implantation?  Is a short soak in chlorhexidine a valid option?  Or would isopropyl alcohol a better option?  A chlorhex/iso mix (aka "chroloprep")?  Something else? 

This really may be moot, as I can probably remove it from the sealed pouch just prior to implantation but I'm trying to plan for all potentialities.

As to what the project is, well, it's not ready for public consumption yet, but in the next month or so (hopefully in a couple weeks), I'll be introducing something to the community here.  It's not the implant itself that's of interest, but rather the method of implantation.  It will, I hope, provide a new option to people looking to implant magnets, RFIDs, and other small items.  "New" isn't even really the correct word.  At any rate, I'll be sharing it soon.

Comments

Displaying all 2 comments
  1. Chlorohexedine can definitely be used on parylene C. Generally, when you buy something with Chloro, it's already blended with alcohol. Together, they are far more effective than alone. However, this is not sterilization; it's disinfection. The only really easy to use chemical sterilant is bleach. I'm not entirely sure if Parylene holds up well to it. Good question. I'll put this on my task list and try it out in the am.
  2. Strange stuff.. I used Parylene coated magnets from supermagnetman to test both bleach and formaldehyde. I don't advise either. I didn't expect these to fail actually. I exposed the magnets for an hour each and came back to check on them. The bleach magnet was already breaking down. The magnet in the formaldehyde was discolored. Now, this doesn't mean that these are definitely ruled out. Bleach sterilization takes about 20 minutes. It's possible that 20 minutes would not be long enough to destroy the coating; however, this would need to tested first. Aldehyde sterilization takes considerably larger. I'll get back to this later with microscope pic time points. My point though is be cautious.
Displaying all 2 comments