The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Project Soli Implantable

Has anyone attempted to make a radar device like Project Soli implantable? It would be cool for gesture recognition and possibly controlling things like UI's or other interactions with the IoT. heres a link: https://youtu.be/aod3C_DecNk

Comments

Displaying all 13 comments
  1. I'm not sure how this implanted would be of any use it relies on radar to measure distance to the projecting device as opposed to muscle movements which could be more implantable. I could see it as a bottle nose type of device. Using it to notify you of an object in front of you with a haptic attached but the power drain would be massive due to the fact it's constantly putting out the waves. Check out the myo armband. Its commercially available and not an unreasonable price ($150usd roughly). That is something I could see as being implantable this would also enable you to have control of a possible robotic arm or prosthetic.
  2. What do you mean by projecting device? I think it'd be useful but it depends on how it communicates with other devices like your computer. And yeah the myo is definitely cool its just too big. I could definitely see that going somewhere especially for a prosthetic. Hopefully in about five years the tech is more advanced and way smaller.
  3. The chip used in project soli sends out a constant signal which is how it reads where and what your hand or arm is doing. Your hand interrupts it just like if it is raining and you put an umbrella you break the way the rain is falling. If you implanted this into say your hand you would then be sending this signal away from you instead of at you to read what your hand is doing. So now instead of the rain falling onto the umbrella where it would make the break you now have the rain coming from inside the umbrella so no break. You would need to aim it at the body part for it to read any motion. I remember Best Buy had something similar to the project soli device for sale a couple years ago. It wasn't that accurate but it could make different color based on where your hand or arm or head was place in relation to the device
  4. Oh ok, thanks for explaining man. I started looking into myo more now that you mentioned it, and I'm very interested especially for music production.
  5. When I get my financial self back in order I'm going to be getting my self one of them and trying it out I think that if it "works as advertised" it might be able to be shrunk down for implantabilty.
  6. Yea, that'd be awesome, I'll buy it too, take some things apart.
  7. The northstar v2 is supposed to have gesture control. Radar would never work from under the skin. It would just measure the how far away your skin is... Not ideal at all. To do gesture control you need either an accelerometer, or gyroscope. Either of those chips would also be smaller.
  8. really? not working underwater i understand but not under skin. Why? I thought that could be worked out algorithmically. also it's not so much gesture control but a different "kind" of gestures that accelerometers and gyroscopes cant detect.
  9. Radar frequencies have penetration depths through skin at the rate of nanometers.

And it has to go through twice, the second time after reflecting from your fingers.

And the movement of blood through your skin would be more of a signal than fingers on the other side ever would be.
  10. @electricfeel ok, thanks for explaining!
  11. @meanderpaul it'd be cool to be able to implant the myo in the future here: https://youtu.be/-0srXvOQlu0
  12. That's pretty much what I was thinking it would be used for. If it can be broken down smaller and have a way to charge it then you would open be able to bring limbs that you can control back to amputates.
  13. Yep, you were spot on.
Displaying all 13 comments