The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Biocompatible materials

I have an idea for a project. The issue is I need custom made pieces from silicone rubber, surgical steel, and electroluminescent wire (totally for aesthetics but I've always been a sucker for that stuff). Are there any sites that do custom machining for the surgical steel? I imagine I'll probably just end up learning how to mold, and make el wire, but I ned a start. Any sources?

Comments

Displaying all 5 comments
  1. Off the top of my head...
  2. I need something smoother. I plan on have these objects in my body. But thank you for the lead at least!
  3. there are a big number of non-metal materials that are easy to get and work with. 

contains a list of commonly used polymers near the end. most are easy to get hands on and work with regular tools.

about el-wires. i dont know if it is much of a good idea to have high-voltage-oscillating under your skin, for safety reasons. 

if you need a source for wires or electrodes. http://www.science-products.com/
    providing a wide range of coated and uncoated wires and stuff, pretty much medical-grade.
  4. That's probably a fair point. Unfortunately it looks like the link to the biocompatability pdf is defunct. Thanks for the link to the science products!
  5. sry. correct link is http://www.zeusinc.com/UserFiles/zeusinc/Documents/Zeus_Biocompatibility.pdf

looks like my browser link cache or so is a bit messed up. in any case there as no F after zeusinc.com/ should be .com/UserFiles not .com/FUserFiles
Displaying all 5 comments