The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Pain tolerance poll

I was wondering how everyone's pain tolerance was on here. Copy this and fill it out: Overall pain tolerance (1-10) = Needles and blades = Heat = Cold = Pressure = Other pain =

Comments

Displaying all 16 comments
  1. I think you'll find pain tolerance will be too subjective to effectively fill out. For instance, I have a high pain tolerance among friends and family, I half implanted my magnets without pain killers, I walked around with a broken leg for a while, played with a broken collarbone, etc. So my 10 would probably amount to having both of my legs crushed by a building (as an example) but someone else's may be breaking a finger. Also depends on experience. Old mate that breaks his finger and passes out may be friends with someone who passes out with a paper cut, so therefore he has a very high pain tolerance compares to him. So he's a 10, his mate is a 1, etc. See what I mean?
  2. Well ill say@alternate is right on the subjective front. But I'll bite Overall pain tolerance (1-10) = 6 Needles=3 nope. blades =7-9 based on the blade and where. Heat =7. Hate the heat love playing with fire....not a pyro Cold =10. I live in Maine and on the ice all winter fishing....lotsa frozen body parts. Pressure =8. Not sure of the reference I'm think person standing on you. Other pain = grin, grind teeth, hit. In that order based on what and who. Example my hand RFID to me hurt more then most things that have happened to me but I also am VERY hesitant/scared of needles. Knives on the other hand I don't flinch. Only thing worse to me then the needle was my destroyed knee when it happened(dislocated patella, torn everything).
  3. I'm ok with needles, but i'm generally a wimp with other types of pain - it's difficult to put a number on pain in general so I won't bother.

4. Overall pain tolerance (1-10) = 5 - 7
    Needles = 4 - 5 They don't really hurt overly much, but the psychological aversion I have to needles makes it difficult to use or have them used on my person in the first place)
    Blades = 9 assuming it's a clean, sharp knife like a scalpel. Cuts don't bother me.
    Heat = 10 Excluding hot (scalding) water, I've got a borderline ridiculous tolerance for heat and humidity. Wearing winter clothes in mid to upper 90 degree (Fahrenheit) weather at 70-80% humidity whilst doing fairly strenuous manual labor.
    Cold = 6 - 7 I don't really have enough body fat or muscle to stay warm when it really gets cold, and my outer digits get stiff if they don't stay fairly warm
    Pressure = 6 - 7 I don't really have a lot to compare this to.

5. Overall pain tolerance = 7
    Needles and blades = 7 the pain of a needle doesn't faze me, but like @TheGreyKnight, the psychological aversion of it bugs me. As far as cuts, I board a lot and have had a fair share of cuts and scrapes.
    Heat = 6 I deal with fire a lot, but I've never had serious burns,
    Cold = 8 I've done a lot of outdoor winter work.
    Pressure = 5 I'm comparing this to the feeling of having a broken wrist, and how much pressure I would put into trying to push on something with that hand. Not going to happen.
    Other pain = 9 for taking hits. I played high school football and advanced pretty far in wrestling so I feel pretty confident about taking hits or similar pain.
  6. This is a bit of an interesting thread. Interesting to hear people's stories, but I don't think there's really much else to be gained by it. It's somewhat like a dick measuring contest where we haven't specified exactly what a dick is, and haven't set a specific unit of measure to use.
  7. Agreed. Now, someone get me a nail gun, a blow torch and a liquid nitrogen dewier and everybody line up so we can standardize this. Oh and a baseball bat for good measure. Who's first? XD
  8. Me me me
  9. I would say my limits of being okay with pain is at about 3 dick units if I am doing it to my self, but if someone else is doing it I can do okay with a couple finger magnets in a row. How many arbitrary dick units is that? 

(love using @trybalwolf units)
  10. Dick-pain units are a scale I can relate to. Since my Prince Albert piercing was one standard dick-pain then my labret piercing was 0.75 standard dick-pain units. My first finger magnet was 3.5 dick-pain units and my second magnet was 2 dick-pain units. My RFID implants were roughly 0.8 dick-pain units each.
    There' my baseline.

Overall pain tolerance in standard dick-pain units: 4. That's four needles simultaneously to the dick.
    Needles and blades in standard dick-pain units: 6.
    Heat in standard dick-pain units: 3.
    Cold in standard dick-pain units: 8. I live a couple hours south of the US/Canada border.
    Pressure in standard dick-pain units: 2. I can't imagine more than 2 in standard dick-pain units of crushing force.
    Other pain in standard dick-pain units: ?. I have never had my dick tazed or otherwise electrocuted so I have no standard for this tolerance.

No offense to @MagneticJacob. I see what you're trying to do here and it's cool but there's not a standard people can safely expose themselves to. Mythbusters did a segment on this soft of thing and found some people at a 1 and some people beyond the safety realm of the test.
    But this got people talking and I had a few laughs so maybe it did something better than originally intended.
  11. Overall pain tolerance (1-10) =
    Needles and blades = 9 i dopn't feel that kinda objects. Not very sensitive to it (a friend of mine piched me with a needle on my shoulder and found it was a bit like scratching
    Heat = 3 i can support it but i hate it so much
    Cold = 7, and getting beter with age
    Pressure = don't know how to measure it.
    Other pain = depends on which. I don't feel teeth pain, and it's a problem. Didnt feel my teeth diying because i did'nt feel any pain. Also veryy resistant to headaches.
  12. I'll concur with the arbitrary nature of trying to measure this.  However, I will say that I feel that our pain tolerance increases for something that we feel is "worth it."  I can't watch an injection on myself for a vaccination, but when it's time to get hooks thrown for a suspension, I'm good.  So, there's likely a sliding scale for our own experiences of pain (and perception of pain) even unto ourselves.
  13. Needles and blades=if unexpected, 3, if expected, 1 Heat=8 Cold=2 (15 degrees is freezing to me) if everywhere, 5 if local Pressure=7 (I am able to tolerate a spring clamp on a testicle cord for an hour, a needle is worse than that to me) Other pain=4 Needles and blades are about 6 times as painful as a spring clamp on a testicle cord for an hour (don't ask). Getting burnt is .5-.8 of my unit. Cold is 4 of my unit.
  14. Is the Dick-pain unit of measurement reliable? I was hammered during my PA, and so i really didn't feel anything... lol.
  15. Overall pain tolerance (1-10) = 6/7ish, I have my weak and strong points but I'm usually overall pretty good with handling pain (minding the vast amount of curse words of course).

Needles and blades = 8, I've never had a problem with handling needles or blades, even when I was really young. If I get a deep cut (I treat it obviously), it really just feels like a paper cut once the initial adrenaline fades.

Heat = 3, despite being raised in a place where it's vaguely warm year round, and being a pyromaniac, burns sting the worst for me.  I have to put some kind of cream on them and take a few tylenols just for them to be fairly tolerable.

Cold = 8, I love the cold, and it's very easy for me to handle. I'd much prefer being in a cold environment than being in an overly hot one.

Pressure = 6, I have really bad lungs and sometimes it feels like a continuous really awful pressure on them. It's helped with me being able to handle it but it still hurts like shit.

Other pain = 7, I can stand most pains but headaches really get to me. Migraines run in the family.
  16. i was really sick through my childhood and was in and out of hospitals so needles/blades aren't even a problem.  probably would say no to a needle bigger than 10g but below, go for it i'll laugh at you when you mange to miss and artery!

i hate hot/cold injuries as i'm a wuss in that instance (screw freeze off NOT worth it!)

pressure id be about a 7, i can take a lot of pressure pain but the healing of the injuries ill cry for days.  

i guess as long as its fast pain (like needles) i have immuunity to, regardless of level of intensity. but slow dull stuff (like labor) i'm done! crying in seconds :P
Displaying all 16 comments