The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

Specialized hearing device

I've been thinking more about cyborging and practical applications for mundane specialized tasks that people might do on a regular basis. A fireman, for example, might find a heat detection implant useful in his/her daily life. Some of these implants or devices might be useless to the average cyborg.

Here is what I want: A tiny specialized ear piece that will notify me when a repetitive noise reaches a certain tempo. The device will need to emit a small chime when the desired tempo is detected. It would also need to discern the tempo through multiple background noises of varying volume.

I have seen hearing aids with blue tooth, so I though about using a phone ap (possibly) in conjunction with one of those. I'd rather have a stand alone device that had that function though. Does anyone know of any alternative methods to detect tempos? Any sound engineers or musicians here?

Comments

Displaying all 10 comments
  1. Like this?
  2. guess digital signal processing would do a pretty good job. the autocorrelation might be the keyword of your interest.
  3. Thanks guys. Here is the noise I'm dealing with. A device starts producing a noise that slows down at a predictable rate of deceleration before it stops (as poorly illustrated in the picture). The sound isn't really a beat, but it does have peaks and valleys (if that matters when detecting bpm). The sound lasts anywhere from 20-45 second or so. I'd like to be able to detect the constantly slowing noise as soon as possible. The last 15 seconds is pretty important, but it is hard to guess when that is going to occur.

If I could detect the noise at A, and then get a 15 second notification at B, that would be cool. It might be cool to get a notification at the 10 second mark (C) too, just to let me know that my time is up. The device starts up randomly every 3-5 minutes or so and there is background noise going on too.

@Unqualified: do you think that the VB100 will work on a steady whirring sound as opposed to music beats?

4. and once again I botch a simple photo paste. 4 times. Is there a modification for that?
  5. It happens - I shudder to think of the number of double posts I have here where the second is basically apologising for the first. ",)
    Basically, you want to take in sound, extract a changing frequency, match that data to a deceleration curve, then get a warning 15 secs before that curve hits zero? Huh... Fourier transform time? This is both above (speech recognition, computer vision) and below (DSP) my field of "expertise" - for small values of expert. ",)
    @ThomasEgi, any thoughts?
  6. if the frequency of the signal is precisely known, finding it with a correlation operation on a dsp should be quite possible. can you record the signal and upload it somewhere so we can analyze and play around with it?
  7.  ^ multiple examples of? Just in case it does differ somehow between repetitions.
  8. I'll get some samples this weekend hopefully.
  9. Holy shit, I got WAY too distracted and forgot all about this. That may be for the best though since my intentions with the device were less than honorable. The "device" in question was a roulette wheel. I still haven't gotten audio samples.
  10. @DirectorX:  That's okay, we all try to satisfy our most base nature as well as our most honorable intentions.  In any case, this one does seem interesting, and may (like the magnet implants) be worth having for the sake of having it.  Hey, you never know when something like that will be useful.

In any case, there's an iPhone app which can record the amplitude of sounds of a certain frequency; if we can hack together one that could also perform certain kinds of analysis on it (in many ways, it would be like a miniature MATLAB).  If you'd prefer an ear device, though, that should work as well.

Get the audio samples when you can.

~Ian
Displaying all 10 comments