The biohack.me forums were originally run on Vanilla and ran from January 2011 to July 2024. They are preserved here as a read-only archive. If you had an account on the forums and are in the archive and wish to have either your posts anonymized or removed entirely, email us and let us know.

While we are no longer running Vanilla, Patreon badges are still being awarded, and shoutout forum posts are being created, because this is done directly in the database via an automated task.

A rumble in the distance. Big things are coming.

Comments

Displaying comments 91 - 105 of 105
  1. Jumping back to graphene caps for a minute, did you have any problems with uneven charge dissipation intervals?
  2. Ok so I am planning on making a dry cell this summer for a hydrogen generator using a 12v solar panel to power it. So I have a few questions for you. Would the sodium hydroxide aid it in any way for producing more electricity? What would that gel be used for or is it just a byproduct of the reaction you were using? Mine is going to be pretty basic in design and I chose to do dry cell to minimize the chance of causing an explosion.
  3. @thegreyknight Not yet but i've only made rudimentary cells to test a particular aspect. Not making a full cell until next week when the materials I need arrive. 

@meanderpaul I'm not familiar with a dry cell for hydrogen production. If you've got some links I could have a look. Sodium hydroxide is a fantastic electrolyte and is used in most batteries. Also great for generating hydrogen since it makes water conductive but breaks down into more hydrogen so it doesn't screw with your reaction.  Which gel do you mean? the solid gel in the middle of the cell? Nothing. I make a new membrane before every run. A wet cell and a dry cell for hydrogen production are equally dangerous. If anything a dry cell is worse since if it catches fire there's less water to put it out. I'm currently looking at biological hydrogen/power production. It's a more complicated setup but it uses microbial and plant growth to produce power and hydrogen
  4. The one I was going for is a dry cell hydrogen fuel cell (I'm sure I'm saying it wrong) so the mixture you used is just to create a more conductive solution? Yes that gel that at the end of the video was in the container alone. Here's my plan just smaller I'm going to modify this to suit my need but I think you will get a rough idea. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Basics-Of-A-Hydrogen-Dry-Cell/ I can't find my other link but it was one that shows a two stage dry cell for breaking it down and then cycling it back so it is fully self contained and only would need to be topped off with the liquid on the second stage. I'm not sure where the fire would come from with the dry cell as you don't have an open flame and if wired right you shouldn't have sparks. My concern for the wet cell was more if it doesn't have a way to prevent backflow you have the possibility for a flame travel back into a compartment filled with very flammable gas.
  5. That whole thing looks odd. I can find no other documentation of it, there's no wiki page, no videos, nothing. If the point is to just make hydrogen you'd probably better off with a normal wet cell. they work really well, just dont knock it over while it's running, nbd. If you don't need the gasses to be separate (making HHO mix) it's even easier. Really depends what you plan on doing with the hydrogen and how much of it you need.
  6. My goal was just to be able to produce slightly more electricity then I'm putting in by using the break down and recombination. Doing a quick Google search of HHO dry cell should give you abunch of results. I'm very likely describing the whole thing wrong but basicly what I'm going to do is run current through junction box covers set up similarly to the image with a rubber gasket between each one. There will be a whole going through the center and then four on the outer edge to how the plates together ,with the gasket. Electrolytes will flow through the center of the plates which will be where the electrolysis happens. The electrolytes will cycle into another container like a water filter container. One wire attached to the first plate and one on the last will complete the wiring. A tube will leave to pull hydrogen from it. I'm pulling most of it from memory so I may be forgetting some details or incorrectly explaining it. I don't know where the design is I was going to use went but I will be trying to find it. I know there are a lot of videos on it out there too. EDIT: I found one of my links that helped me make the decision from the wet to dry. http://www.hho2u.com/HHO_DRY_CELL.html
  7. Ok I see what you mean now. Ya then the sodium hydroxide solution will definitely help. At most it'll wear out your system faster but you're not using platinum so that'll happen anyway. 
  8. Know I did want to ask you since I'm not to good with the whole chemistry thing but what kind of gases could come from using salt water? I understand the more impurities the better chance of a toxic gas. I mean water taken from the ocean. I also understand salinity varies from different areas on the earth.
  9. Meanderpaul, you're not going to break the second law of thermodynamics by electolyzing water and then burning it.
  10. I know it's not going to break the law but possibly use the energy from burning the hydrogen to power either a motor or engine that could. I don't think that directly it could but indirectly it could. Same way we use gas we use energy to make it then it becomes energy in another way
  11. Well, what you have to do is use a solar cell or something to electrolyze water. Then, store the hydrogen and use it to power your fuel cell. Gasoline isn't an indirect break of the third law. It's simply an energy rich portion of the universe. That energy gets spread out via entropy during combustion. Similar process with a fuel cell. You're using energy to convert a substance into a form that readily stores energy in a more portable or dense format.
  12. The point is, you will NEVER get out more energy than you put in, you just get some fraction of the energy put in in a different form. If that form is easier to move or utilize (i.e. electrical energy in a battery compared to sunlight) there is a benefit. Otherwise you're chasing a pipe dream or just wasting energy.
  13. Well at a minimum it will be a fun build. Maybe I'll make something useful to something else. I find floating around in my head.
  14. Supplies arrived today. Already have a huge batch of graphene going and made up a new batch of conductive ink. Getting used to working with the new materials. SO many ideas I wanna try now but am attempting to stay on task in preparation for bodyhacking con. If all goes well I should have the first decent prototype super cap in a few days. Also gonna try and make some bullet proof plastic with the graphene. Ought to be fun
  15. Haven't updated on this in a while but successfully made multiple colors of quantum dots LINK

Managed to make green and yellow, both from regular table sugar. Process was really easy too, took 15 minutes. But requires the concentrated phosphoric acid which I only just got. Eitherway, works great! Gonna do red tomorrow.
Displaying comments 91 - 105 of 105