Magnet-Anchored Spikes?

I've seen transdermal spike jewelry around; I wonder if it's possible to accomplish the same thing with magnets.
Usually, a magnet cannot be used to anchor anything in place for long periods of time, as the skin between the magnet and the object will be crushed.

If the spike or other jewelry was attracted to the subdermal magnet, but not directly supported by it, could a subdermal magnet replace a transdermal anchor for this type of jewelry?

Comments

• I like where you're going with this.

The crushing of flesh between magnets is a problem because it starves the skin of blood flow. If you have enough pull on your internal magnet to attract a spike, I think you'll still be starving the area even if there's nothing contacting the epidermis.

Story time. Magnetic earrings are, or were, a thing. They were decorative studs paired with nickel-plated neodymium magnets. To wear them, you put the stud on the front of your earlobe and the plain magnet on the back. They clearly weren't clip-on jewelry. I kept one of these on for a whole day, or two days, I don't remember but it was too long and the skin of my earlobe reacted BADLY. It looked like I had a pair of bruise-color earrings. And they ITCHED.

Just placing magnetic spikes over your implanted magnet won't hurt in the short term but don't overdo it. You may be able to leave them on longer with your design so I think there is merit to this project. If you can find a balance for longevity, it opens the door for strapless wearables like the implanted temperature sensors.

• @McSTUFF can you clarify what you mean about starving the skin of blood flow even if something is contacting the epidermis? Is it because the implanted magnet would still be pushing upward from under the skin?

I've tried to wear magnets as earrings before, with similar results. An addition to this design might be to add a layer of foam, sponge, or similar springy material to the rim of the spike to cushion contact with the skin further.

Does anyone have a magnet implanted in a location where it might be feasible to test this?

• That is correct, outward pressure from the magnet could keep blood from flowing. Joints, like our knees and elbows, have all the extra skin on them so the joints can be flexed without creating that pressure.
    Adding padding should distribute the pressure nicely but it will also add some distance between the magnets and that will need to be adjusted to find a distance where there is enough force holding the spike but not so much that it starves the skin. I think this is very doable.

• I imagine it might be hard to mimic naturally thick skin with additional artificial padding (which would also be applying pressure on the skin)... maybe instead there is a way to thicken the skin itself?