teflon coated magnets and update on hpde coatings

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/disc-magnets-neodymium/disc-magnet-diameter-5mm-height-5mm-neodymium-n45-teflon-coated_S-05-05-T here is the link, im not implanting them nor do i have any but i was thinking if someone else is looking for "decent" implant magnet. they are only n45 but should be enough for sensing, the big pro whit these is the teflon coating, it will last a decade. tomorrow i will starts trying to coat magnets by powdering hdpe plastic and heating the magnet to high temperatures then sprinkle the hdpe powder on the magnet, i also have started buiding a remagnetizer to restore the hdpe coated magnets.

Comments

• Nothing below N52 is worth implanting

• Also high temperatures can demagnetize the magnet

• Yeah. I have a few Teflon coated magnets. The Teflon is really thick. Awesome material though. I've been playing with polyethylene for other reasons. It's fun stuff. I wonder if you could melt it, pour it into a mold and then push a magnet into it while it was cooling but not too hot. Alternatively you could mill a container, put the mag inside and then heat weld it together.
    PE and Ptfe are both excellent options as they absorb almost no fluid or vapor. Keep giving updates.
    I agree about n42 being too weak though. Also, while magnetization is possible.. if you get it too hot you can't remag.

• Apologies for reviving the thread, but this information might be useful to people.

I would not implant anything coated in pure PTFE - it causes granulomas. The medical community moved away from teflon for this reason.

You can read some case studes here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2039714/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10773262

There is a lot of literature available on the topic if you search for "teflon granuloma".

• You have to see the differences in application. having a solid block of material (like in most implants we talk about here) is usualy perfectly fine. If your application generates small particles (for example from joints under mechanical load) or like the felt which consists of tiny fibers, that's something entirely different. The body will try to eat up those tiny particles or encapsulate them causing undesired responses. this is not limited to teflon.

• @ThomasEgi said:
    You have to see the differences in application. having a solid block of material (like in most implants we talk about here) is usualy perfectly fine. If your application generates small particles (for example from joints under mechanical load) or like the felt which consists of tiny fibers, that's something entirely different. The body will try to eat up those tiny particles or encapsulate them causing undesired responses. this is not limited to teflon.

Totally. These granulomas are what people are calling encapsulation. You can get them from damn near anything. Look up "Foreign body Granuloma." I know plenty of people who've had them removed as well. Birds ear.. Lephts finger.. and many more. To elaborate on what ThomasEgi said.. application is important to take into consideration. Because of the location of these implants removal is super super easy.

• > @Cassox said:
    > @ThomasEgi said:
    > You have to see the differences in application. having a solid block of material (like in most implants we talk about here) is usualy perfectly fine. If your application generates small particles (for example from joints under mechanical load) or like the felt which consists of tiny fibers, that's something entirely different. The body will try to eat up those tiny particles or encapsulate them causing undesired responses. this is not limited to teflon.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Totally. These granulomas are what people are calling encapsulation. You can get them from damn near anything. Look up "Foreign body Granuloma." I know plenty of people who've had them removed as well. Birds ear.. Lephts finger.. and many more. To elaborate on what ThomasEgi said.. application is important to take into consideration. Because of the location of these implants removal is super super easy.

Hey cassox so sorry to use this public board for unrelated purposes but I've been semifrequently messaging you, could you give me a reply on this forums PM or Email?