Is there a diy guide to home magnet coating?

I've looked everywhere and at most I've seen people discuss different manufacturers and different coating materials.
I've seen that some people on here do small batches and allow people to go in on them once they are made aware of the risk of failure and infection, but, I've never seen a guide, or any documentation at all really, on the matter of making them.
I know that some of the processes involve a multi-part molding/casting process. Others are out of the question because they require cost prohibitive equipment. I'm not looking for anything definitive, just general points of reference or documentation of tried processes or research.

I'm asking because I bought several of those small gold coated high strength magnets from gaussboys a while back and have been puzzling out how to go about experimenting with coatings. I of course wouldn't implant anything I haven't done extensive testing on first, but I have equipment to test anything if I just knew how to go about experimentally coating them.

I have a home lab that has several magnets, chemicals, metal/plastic/glass tools and equipment including test tubes and beakers, microscope and camera equipment, 3D printer, mold release spray, smooth-on 2 part silicone for molding and casting, and a whole electrical station with reflow station and variable power supply.

I'm in a good position to buy materials within a certain budget as well.

If you have made home coated magnets, or know of a guide or documentation on the matter I'd be super thankful if you could link them below and discuss them.

thanks! <3

Comments

• I'm working on this now actually.
  • @Cassox
    Oh cool! Man, you're always on top of things here!

• If you'd like to collab on this that'd be awesome. I'm doing a bunch of writing etc. Already.. but I'll tell to where I'm at with it. We need two sections. One focusing on the material and the second focusing on testing. We all know about all the 10993 tests but really that's not the issue. We need to get up to speed on the mechanical testing.
    So stuff I've been working on include testing for moisture/vapor absorption. This can be done by filling curing a resin, and then weighing it. Then you soak it for 72 hours and weigh it again. This give a good approx of how much fluid it picks up. There are also ways to test the strength of the coating. And of course we need tests to see if the coating is cracked or flawed. I was doing a kind of nickel to dimethglyoxime soak but I'm not sure how good this really works and tenders the magnet unfit for implantation. I've been working with this guy who's got a ton of great ideas and he may have a method using capacitance that would be better. We haven't actually tried it yet but I'm excited.
  • The final part of course is an actual implant test. The problem though is people are inconsistent in implant and aftercare. So once again, one has to ask how good of a test this is.
  • I'd love to help, but I'm not sure where I'd be of use. I have a highschool level of education with two semesters of colledge (before I dropped out). I took just about every science class you can think of in highschool and I'm an excellent reader. I need to brush up on chemistry and biology for sure, but some specific pointers on what I need to research would help. I worked at a plasma donation center (where I had some co-workers help with my two rfid implants) so I'm familiar with aseptic procedure, infection prevention, aftercare, and first aid. I'm not squeamish by any means and am not opposed to implanting devices inside myself. I actually haven't heard of the 10993 tests, so that would probably be a good point for me to start. I have lots of free time up until the second of July when I start my new job. After that I can make time.

I'd be interested in what equipment is used for the mechanical testing and what metrics are of interest. I imagine pressure and chemical tests are involved to determine coating effectiveness, but how are they being done? With some sort of press? With saline or stronger chemicals? I've seen a bit from browsing people saying they are testing coatings.
  • Ah, I just googled and found the 10993-1 FDA document about "evaluation and testing within a risk management process". I will begin reading that now.
  • Okay, I just read the FDA document as well as the documents and posts here regarding toxicity and different coatings. I'm just waiting to hear back from you.
  • @radon u know you can take it to the dms w cassox right?

• Slack boards are good too. Where are you from?
  • I'm from Utah. Sorry about posting multiple comments in a row like that, I wasn't really thinking about it. I can see how it'd be annoying to see this thread look like it's more active than it is with unnecessary posts. I'll DM you my slack in a minute, I don't use it as much, but I have notifications set up and i'm pretty quick to reply, so it should be effective means of communication.