MultiElectrode Array (MEA) quest

edited February 2015 in RFID/NFC
Finding/making affordable multielectrode arrays seem to be a hurdle we will need to overcome before we can start making true cybernetic devices. Currently the Utah array is selling for $4000 USD/each. The purpose of this thread is to discuss alternate ways to make an array with equal or greater specs to the Utah array.

I was thinking there could be some biological methods. Bacteria distributed into a fine electrode mold could possibly be hacked to produce a solid array made from the desired materials. Possibility? 

Thought it was cool and it might possibly have some future applications.

Lets discuss ideas.

Comments

• I'm afraid I am an electronics newbe. What is the benefit of a multielectrode array? What kind of technology would it enable?
  • It is used for nerve to machine communication. The tiny pins help send and receive electric signals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multielectrode_array
    The in vivo Utah array is the one we need. It would enable something like this:

Many other applications too.
  • @meanderingman:  I said this in the other thread, but:

The multielectrode array used by Kevin was implanted into the median nerves of his arm.  After hooking up a device that could send and receive electrical pulses from the array, he could essentially use it to read from and write to his nervous system.  So, for example, he could use it to read signals from a rangefinder (like the Bottlenose, but arguably more effective), or hook his nervous system to the internet to be able to control a robot hand from across the Atlantic Ocean.

He also had his wife, Irena, have a couple of electrodes inserted into her arm, and they did an experiment where, every time Irena moved her hand, Kevin could feel it as a pulse.  This is why it would be useful in nervous - nervous communication.

For more information, you can find videos about it by typing "Kevin Warwick Project Cyborg 2.0" into YouTube.  For example, there's this video; a bit over-sensationalist, and it gets a few things factually wrong, but it's a decent enough introduction.  It's also fun to read some of the comments by people who think that Warwick's working for the Illuminati, or that this stuff is the mark of the beast.

Personally, I wouldn't stop at restoring human function; I'd want a hand (as well as reflexes) like this.

~Ian
  • I'd never leave the house if I had a hand like that.
  • http://www.technologyreview.com/news/507121/a-carbon-microthread-that-makes-contact-with-the-mind/

Here we go. Carbon fiber is the easy part. I have no idea how they would keep it from dissolving, let alone organizing these into an array. There is a lot of hype right now about carbon nano structures and carbon in general. I'm not entirely sold, but I'm up for experimenting if someone has ideas.