The craziest and coolest thing I've ever done
Hi everyone! I'm a student, electronics engineer and huge DIY enthusiast from Slovakia. Lasts night, as the title points out, I've done something that me and a handful of my friends who know consider the craziest and simultaneously coolest thing I've ever done.
It's been about a month since I decided I want to get a magnet implant. Since I live where I live, I don't have many options in having one installed by an artist or a doctor. But even if I did, I wanted to do it myself. Anyway, this is my "story" explaining my preparations, procedure, and finally results.
I didn't want to put a huge chunk of metal into my finger, so at first, I ordered a buch of 1x1mm N42 cylinders, but then, I scrapped the idea and bought some N52 2x1mm ones. If I'm going to do this, I wanted it to be worth it you know, and the size didn't look crazy or uncomfortable.
For plating, I used a 24k gold solution with cobalt additive (for improved hardness and longevity). After cleaning the magnet in concentrated sodium hydroxide solution and hydrochloric acid, I took some tweezers, stuck the magnet sideways (radially) and plated it for 2 minutes at 2.8 volts. Then I spun the magnet by 180 degrees to plate the back side as well and waited for another 2 minutes. I then stuck the magnet axially, so the circular face faced the anode. I plated it for 4 minutes, and then repeated the process with the opposites side. In the end, I repeated the side plating to get an even and smooth finish.
In the end I submerged the magnet in pure isopropanol and moved to the next step.
I bought a set of sterile disposable 11P scalpels from Swann-Morton for an amazingly generous price in a local shop. However, I had problems in getting a proper local anesthetic. After talking with a friend whose father is a doctor, I decided not to search for lidocaione, because it would most likely only result in weird looks from behind the counter and then hearing a several-minute-long lecture about why I can't buy that. I considered using menthol, but quickly labeled that idea really stupid. Guess I'll stick to ice and bite on something.
To compensate my not exactly sterile environment, I used very generous amounts of betadine on everything throughout the whole operation. I marked the cut with a permanenit marker, applied a rubber band tourniquet and started cutting.
I made a 1mm deep starting incision parallel with my finger, and then continued by cutting a pocket in a slight angle sideways, until the magnet would fully fit in with the starting incisions closed.
I still feel uneasy from just thinking about it now. Without any anesthetic, the procedure was very painful. So much, that I had to make pauses, lie down and lift my legs up, so I wouldn't faint. It was probably mostly psychological, but still a textbook example of circulatory shock. After some time, I noticed that the blood in the incision was really dark, and to prevent tissue damages, I had to remove the tourniquet and let some fresh blood in. I then switched to a bag of ice wrapped around my finger. The cold constricted my blood vessels enough to prevent excessive bleeding, but not enough to cut the blood flow off entirely. It also helped with the pain quite nicely. But still, at one point, I really thought I was done, that I can't do this, and was prepared the close the incision and go to sleep. But somehow, I found the courage and willpower to finish it, and in the end, I wasn't even in shock anymore and finished the rest without any pauses.
I closed the wound with a generous amount of superglue, making sure that none would get inside the wound. I wrapped it all with band aid and went to sleep.
The entire procedure took almost exactly two hours.
I'll post updates with my status throughout the next few weeks.
No infection, no inflammation, or signs of rejection. Pain is minimal and I can already sense large metallic objects or other magnets. It sure is a weird feeling.