Sucessful impant of a $2.80 868 Byte NTAG216 animal NFC chip

Am really interested to see how MultiPassSecure and VivoKey turn out, but didn't feel like waiting. The FlexNF/FlexDF implants are very cool but have a more involved implant procedure. Other than those it seems the best current gen implants are based on the NTAG216.

I found some very cheap Star NTAG216 animal chips for $2.80 USD each ($28/10). There were some on alibaba for cheaper, but with higher minimum orders (although some sellers would send a sample for potentially less)
https://aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-2-12-12mm-NFC-Animal-Microchip-RFID-Syringe-Ntag216-Glass-Tag-Injector-with-sterile-package/32869446685.html

It was my first DIY implant, made sure to have the right supplies and get the process down. Seemed to go very well although it's still only been a few hours. I can scan it consistently and very quickly, but only because I spent a while working out where my phone's antenna is and the best orientation.

Pros

• 13.56MHz, phone readable
  • Relatively large at 868 Bytes
  • Comes preloaded in syringe (you can get them separate also)
    Cons

• Not intended for human use

• Parylene coated

I have some spares, am happy to send them for cost+shipping. Unless you live in NZ it's probably cheaper you buy direct https://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/rate-finder/sending-internationally/parcels

Happy to answer questions/take pics also.

Disclaimer: I can't endorse DIYing or implanting anything not intended for humans

Comments

• hello

This site is a bit confusing... they write: Animal Chip: 13,56 MHz - you can register it at Tasso.
    What ??? The Animal Chips works with 134 khz - Low Frequency, and they have only a number on it - you can't program them. People who didn't know that, would chip their pets with this chip, and they can't add it to Tasso.

• I agree, pretty confusing. They also said bits instead of bytes.
    The packets are labelled as FDX-B compliant like in the video, but you're right that does sound wrong.
    I don't think this model is listed on the manufacturer's site rfidstar-security.com/

• Maybe they can sell it a bit cheaper, when they label it with animal-id I can't find it on his homepage too - I was just looking around.
    I have the flexNT - it is amazing. I got all my implants done by a piercer or bodymod.