My stupid DIY magnet implant adventures
edited December 2016 in Procedures
First of all, HEY GUYS! Im new so dont be too harsh if i dont know something :)
Okay, its 3am so ill try to be brief.
QUESTION: What should i do with my implant (Let the poor guy be/unimplant it and recut in the same place/move on to another finget)
1. On november 1-2 I got myself an DIY magnet implant (N48 5*0.8 Coin type, Gold plated, i tested it with salt water)
2. Now after ~3 weeks passed i decided that i need an advise
Wound isint sealed. Why:
i had a problems with stiches. what problems you ask?
1. Thread cutting my skin
And cuz of those reasons magnet climed up ~0.7mm, technicly it should be able to sealitself off but im not 100% sure
i keep resewing it(it keeps untieing, especialy while showering), skin is quite stiff around the magnet(i can only feel magnet movements, no vibration,no tingling)
it isint sticking out but its quite close
one more thing, it dosent hurt at all
Thanks for wasting time on me and for putting blaming aside :D
Worst case, you get an infection while your body pushes it out.
It looks like it wasn't implanted deep enough. Dang. I'm glad it doesn't hurt though.
Gold coating, by itself, is not safe for implanting. I'm glad you tested it with saltwater and we'd appreciate if you took some close-up pictures of the magnet when it comes out and has been cleaned off. Then, give it another salt water test and see if your body managed to break through the gold an any point.
I'll say that, again, I haven't yet actually had an implant myself.
Whats ur guys thoughts on planting magnet inside venus/mars of that pic:
sorry for pic, im kinda in a hurry
I don't know anyone who has put a magnet on the palm of the hand because that's where we grip things. A magnet under the skin there would cause constant irritation.
Where did you get your magnet?
If any other members have a second test this would be a good chance to get data on a previously-implanted gold-plated magnet.
I appreciate that you're willing to run the salt-water test. Birdhandz described how to make a microscope in another thread. [LINK]
I don't know how well that microscope would work with the magnet though. It needs something that light will pass through but it might work if you can get enough light shining on the magnet. The problem is that the lens and the item being viewed need to be very close to be in focus.
I have held a small magnifying glass up to the camera lens to get close up pictures before and I even taped a CD drive lens over the lens of the camera to get real close up shots. That last one still needed very good lighting since the camera had to be so close.
I'm interested to hear what results the saltwater test gives on this magnet. I think I remember another removed test magnet not too long ago that got scratched up while removing it so the scratches could be from removing it (hitting it with the scalpel) or from the stitching.
Was it scratched like that before implanting it?
Another test that was suggested to me (can't remember who) was to use HOT soapy water. The magnet I purposely damaged has been soaking in that water for a while (week or two?) and it definitely had a reaction and rusted. Wiping it on a paper towel and looking for a rusty stain should give a faster result. I think this test only works if the coating is directly over the neodymium. If it is nickel plated under the gold layer I don't think hot soapy water reacts with nickel.
Maybe a drop of soap to break the surface tension along with the salt water would help???
I never intended to obligate you to ship the magnet anywhere, certainly not at your expense.
Drugs side effects: Eyes cant focus, pickup detail. Body gets lighter, harder to coordinate. + few others
I hope you don't get infected and I'm very curious to see how this all goes. Keep us updated.
I have heard that but the one I was testing was just so I could see what kind of reaction I was looking for with a failed magnet so it didn't matter if it lost any strength.
I don't have any way to test the magnetic strength but I can't notice any difference in strength between the one I boiled and a new one. EXTERNAL - I didn't implant any. It probably does make it weaker or sterilizing them would be a lot easier though.
I do intend to pressure cook one of the ones I have for another (non implant) use so I'll see if it makes a noticeable difference. I'm not recommending boiling any of them but I don't think hot water will hurt anything.
From what I have found online, type N magnets maximum working temperature is 80 C. (176 F). Above that it will start to loose strength.
I don't know what type the ones I bought are. They are only N35 and not N48 so they are weaker than yours to start with.
For the nickel exposure testing using ammonia and dimethylglyoxime, search ebay or online for nickel spot test kit. Might be easier than getting the chemicals and making it yourself.
Good luck with this implant.