My new implant
Hi all, I haven't posted before but I wanted to share my experience with my magnetic implant.
I did mine myself at home, one magnet in my pinky finger tip on my left hand. I bought a surgical scalpel and sutures online to use and they worked great. After putting a rubber band on my finger and icing it for about 5 minutes it was totally numb and I didn't feel a thing the whole way through. Maybe I just go numb easy but I find it odd that people are going out and buying digital blocks and the like when you can do a completely painless implant with ice...
I made the pocket into my finger tip a bit wider than I probably needed it to be, but it did make it very easy to put the magnet in. I used a single stich to close up the wound and I thought that it had all gone very well but I took the rubber band off before I put the dressing on and it started bleeding quite a bit. I had to put the rubber band back on before I could dry it off enough to cover it properly. I actually put the rubber band back on when I put on a fresh dressing the next day just to make sure it didn't bleed everywhere again. The next time I dressed it just used a regular bandaid. I also used medical glue for the second day but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference with the stitch already in.
So far no infections, it's healing great actually. I put it in four days ago and I'm going to remove the stitch in the next day or two but it looks like the outer cut is almost completely healed. I did test it a little with another magnet on day three and I ended up dragging it around the entre pocket that I had opened so there it still a fair bit of internal healing to go.
I didn't want to wait for higher quality magnets to come out so I just got a 3mm x 1mm neodymium disk and covered it in sugru, left it for 2 days to harden and then sat it in ethanol for 10 mins before I put it in. I am hoping to change it for a more professionally bioproofed magnet in the future. So far I haven't been able to feel much with it though, I may have put it a little too far down so it's more in my finger than my fingertip which is I assume less sensitive, or I could have layered the sugru too thick. Either way I am going to try a different type of magnet, hopefully with better coating for my next one.
Overall a successful procedure, I did try to film it but it was at a bad angle so you can't see it, I'll try to get an assistant for my next one to film it properly.