FedEx Day at NYC Resistor

edited February 2015 in Community
On the 28th and 29th of this month, biohack.me is meeting up in New York.  For six hours we will be using NYC resistor's workspace to build one device.  Because of the time limitations, machines like the Light Bulb PCR or a microdermal holographic implant is not possible.  Please use the space below to outline your idea on what should be built (if you are attending).  Registration for these ideas will be closed on Wednesday.  I hope to see you there!

Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Some information from our first meeting ...

Tim Cannon: 

So the three mile view is that we have generated a device to interface with the magnets in my finger. we plugged this into a micro controller which monitors a ultrasonic rangefinder. then it pumps the out pin to relay, which opens the gate to the electromagnet. the closer i am the faster it pulses,  thus i can sweep side to side and have sonar. I have tested this pretty thoroughly in my house and in strange places. Next will be a laser thermometer so that I can point at objects from a distance and determine if they are hot or cold.

Additionally we have plans for 2 other fully implantable devices, one was based on south paw and has become much more, and the other is a simple clock/watch that is embed-able. Moving forward as quickly as can be allowed. ..." 
  • I'm in the planning stages for testing what putting a 60 bpm TENS signal into the human body fairly long term does for time perception; have you any further info about that implantable clock? Save duplication of effort, etc.
  • @Unqualified:  I'm sure @TimmyCNinja would be happy to give you that information.
  • Also, there is now a Doodle poll on available times to get together on Mumble, and discuss projects.  All times are EST (UTC - 5:00).

~Ian
  • @Unqualified So far we are using the watch to test our strategy for wireless charging. So this will be a "solid state binary clock" super tiny with super bright LED's, we will likely use a RTC(Real Time Clock Integrated Circuit) with a trickle circuit built on board to keep the actual time, and then an a wireless charging induction circuit to drive the LED logic, which will likely be governed by the smallest micro controller we can find. once we get it on a small perf board, we are going to coat it in the clearest biocompatible substance we find. make sure the charging works(wireless charging is the key lesson we hope to learn from this).

From there it goes into an orange, We will literally cut open an orange as though we are doing the procedure, stitch it up, put it back in the fridge, and see what happens, charge it regularly..see what happens, charge it too long...see what happens. Then we abuse the orange. beat it up a bit. test the thresh holds a bit. Then we try to destroy it, breach it, and see what it would take to release the barrage of poisonous chemicals into my blood stream, and if after all that, i am convinced that it is safe, I will toss it in my arm. It will be mainly for show as I will have subdermal LEDs running actual logic. It should generate some buzz(hopefully). 

So if all that goes without a hitch(which everything always does... right?) we will move on directly to the big project SP++

Sorry about the long post, hit me on G+ if you need anything. 

+Tim Cannon
  • That sounds like a fucking fantastic idea for prototyping. Nice work.
    I'm doing something completely different, then; I'll pass on my results once I eventually get them, in case they'll be of any use to you, but there's no real parallels during dev and test. Good luck with it!
  • a few notes:
    the smallest microcontrollers around for such a job are about 4x4mm in size, with LGA connctions smaller than what most people can handle.

LED's eat energy for breakfast. especially bright ones. so be prepared to recharge it pretty often.

you do want to use a battery-management controller for safety. there are great energy-harvesting ic's with battery management build-in. they also come in tiny packages like 3x3 or 4x4mm.

for microcontrollers, i would recommend against the RTC. a microcontroller has plenty of processing power to spare, and you can simply clock the μC from a clock-crystal. setting the time could be done via IRDA or by modulating data ontop of the charging transmitter.

if you need some part numbers, check on the southpaw discussion. i picked a few useful ones there. not the smallest ones , but you cant assemble those without a proper lab anyway.