Damn it, look what poked out this morning :(

edited April 2015 in Procedures
D'oh! So, this happened today.

I put it in with a huge needle in January, and it emerged painlessly today.

I wanted to put i back where it came from with another huge needle right away, but I am running late for work, and really would prefer to have some ibuprofen on hand.

Still, I can't complain, the other one remains where it should be, and is lots of fun.

Comments

• It got rejected even after all that time?
  • @D_Axel That what I wonder about, too, but then again IIRC complete healing under best circumstances takes 6 months, so rejecting after 4 is possible.
  • That sucks man. I thought that 6 months was mainly for the nerves to heal back, but stuff happens I guess. Was there anything that happened recently which you think might have caused it to reject?
  • So what happened was that the magnet travelled back down to the initial entry point. It had been a bit itchy for a while, and I happened to squeeze it while in the shower. A small pocket of pus broke, and then I could see the tip of the magnet. I was hoping I could push it back in and maybe use superglue to close the hole, but it was a lost cause.
    I am not upset or disappointed- this is really par for the course with piercings and other mods. I will absolutely disinfect the magnet and implant again.
    Looking at my remaining implant, I can see that it too is heading that way, so perhaps I will wait for it to emerge before the next date with the huge needle.

If I think about the different ways I could have caused insult to the site, I can point to careless weight-bearing exercise, and a habit of resting my left hand next to my touch pad on my laptop when reading. But that is speculation.
    I have no signs of infection or bruising, and can be happy with that.

I will say this: my no worries attitude to the event would be hugely compromised had I forked out $450 for each of the implants professionally, or if there had been significant complications, or if I had lost the magnet in the process.
  • Don't forget to inform us how re-implanting goes. Currently my magnets are in a very bad state (I'm 90% sure they'll get rejected but won't give up trying to fix the issues) so most likely I'll have to re-implant soon, too.
  • @spiltwine can you describe your pus please?
    (i love this forum :)

Descriptions about pus can often lead to information about why the rejection happened.
  • @V10lator Sure. Good luck with your implants and reimplanting, should that occur.

@glims Alrighty. I am happy to answer your questions. The site (on my pinky) was raised slightly, as it had been since the implantation back in January. As I've mentioned, it was a bit itchy, but not painful or discoloured.

Magnetic sensitivity enjoyable. Anyway, I gave it a little squeeze in the shower when it burst, much like a zit, only a bit wetter. So the pus was exactly the kind I might associate with an irritant that my body was keen to expel, and not at all like what I would link to infection.

The site today remains painless, with dry skin, zero pus, and a tiny scab.
  • Still need some info on the pus itself. Not your opinion on the pus (no offense, i just need to phrase better).

On a scale of chicken broth(1) to cottage cheese(10), where would you place your pus? (I am the great communicator) What colour was it? Any other defining characteristics?

• How dare you!

My opinions on pus are amongst the most highly regarded in the pus speculation community!

I feel like I described it fairly well when I compared it to a zit: it was yellow, wet, mostly thick and a little bit runny. So not homogeneous.

It was not smelly, not bloody.

• Oh, here is how the site looks this evening.

• Do you have photos of what the implant site looked like before rejection?
  • @bciuser

Well, I think my middle finger implant is about to emerge, and I took some photographs this morning.

http://imgur.com/rl9GX5M,lyjAuxz,h6Fjs3h#1

It has been pretty tender to the touch for the last week, but has nothing (that I can tell, so far) in the way of pus/blister type material than my pinky finger did before it expelled the magnet.

It is right below the surface, but the skin is a bit tough. You might be able to see the circular marks around the site, and that is where old skin has dried and peeled away over time. Much like a pimple.

So, without much sadness at all, I am thinking that doing a few loads of dishes by hand today ought to soften the skin and then I shall pluck out that magnet.

I will keep it safe until I can procure something to disinfect both m31 magnets, and then plan another Big Needle Day.

I have grown quite attached to them, despite their tendency to wander, and it is worth a second date with the 10 gauge.

For anyone interested, here is a photo of my healed pinky finger magnet site. It has had zero problems of any kind since the magnet emerged.

http://imgur.com/uKdesya
  • This evening the implant in my middle finger finally came out.

I was able to squeeze it from the small hole it was poking through, and it emerged without blood or pus of any consistency @glims ;)

It is actually a relief to have it out, as the site has been itchy and sore for a few weeks.

Now I can put the magnets aside until I can procure something to sterilize them, and grow the courage to try the scalpel techniques, perhaps.

The photo immediately after I took out the magnet is my profile pic, for now.

And also here http://imgur.com/DsFJ4cl if anyone prefers a closer look.